News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PedalPCB Mini Heterodyne Receiver (EQD Data Corrupter)

Started by Bio77, January 20, 2020, 01:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

Wanted to take a stab at SMD and chose this.  The build went really smooth, I'm excited to do some more SMD.  I bought the faceplate at PPCB, which looks super pro.  Was wondering if anyone knows of a good DIY way to make these?

Pedal is a really loud, noisy, and crazy, but that's intentional.  I think I might add a master volume, it's kind of tricky to get the three levels set.  Overall, really pleased with this one.

chongmagic

Looks great, just finished up one myself.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

benny_profane

Looking great! Nice work with the surface mount too!

I've never seen those faceplates in person, but I've laser etched acrylic (White top, black middle—sorta like a pick guard with the layered edge look) to get black lettering on white. The top/substrate colors can be whatever to get the effect you're looking for.

chongmagic

Wish there was a place to get those faceplates made. Could turn out to be a lucrative business in the diy community.

diablochris6

That is slick looking! I didn't know this project even existed.

I've also seen folks use black FR4 and etching designs into it. It could be possible if you get some pretty thin stuff, and it will have a copper look rather than white. You'd have to get pretty good at etching, which I I am not.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jjjimi84

Looks great! I love this pedal even though i have found absolutely no practical use for it but it keeps me busy for hours on end.

benny_profane

Quote from: chongmagic on January 20, 2020, 02:40:39 PM
Wish there was a place to get those faceplates made. Could turn out to be a lucrative business in the diy community.

BuGG has to get them made somewhere. I'm sure he'd tell you what his method is if you ask. Ponoko is a place to get custom acrylic laser etches if you don't have access to a machine / maker space deal for that method I mentioned above. It can be rather expensive there, but you can save money by combining a bunch of faceplates on a single board order. They do offer a new user incentive too.

dawson

Nice work!
Glad it went smoothly for you- I had the same thought and built this mainly to try out SMD soldering with a cool effect as a bonus, but my results weren't so positive:

Anyhow, good-looking build, I'm very jealous!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jimilee

Those look fantastic. I've built a couple of and projects myself.  I'm curious about the sound. How about An audio demo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Thanks everyone.

Quote from: chongmagic on January 20, 2020, 01:46:51 PM
Looks great, just finished up one myself.
That looks cool, did you do the faceplate?

Quote from: benny_profane on January 20, 2020, 01:56:27 PM
I've never seen those faceplates in person, but I've laser etched acrylic (White top, black middle—sorta like a pick guard with the layered edge look) to get black lettering on white. The top/substrate colors can be whatever to get the effect you're looking for.
Yes, that sounds perfect!   Have you ever posted a build report with this technique?  I'd like to check that out.
Quote from: jjjimi84 on January 20, 2020, 03:25:10 PM
Looks great! I love this pedal even though i have found absolutely no practical use for it but it keeps me busy for hours on end.
Agreed, I didn't realize from the demos (or maybe it's just mine), that it doesn't do quiet, makes it less likely to work in a band situation.  Maybe a limiter in front would help.

Quote from: diablochris6 on January 20, 2020, 02:50:20 PM
I've also seen folks use black FR4 and etching designs into it. It could be possible if you get some pretty thin stuff, and it will have a copper look rather than white. You'd have to get pretty good at etching, which I I am not.
I've seen these, they do look nice, but etching seems painful.
Quote from: dawson on January 20, 2020, 03:56:26 PM
Nice work!
Glad it went smoothly for you- I had the same thought and built this mainly to try out SMD soldering with a cool effect as a bonus, but my results weren't so positive:
That's funny! I don't know about a de-bug of this one, I'd probably let it sit for awhile too. 

chongmagic

Yes indeed I used the faceplate. It love the look!

alanp

Nice work. Did you solder the SMD ICs yourself? Good job if so :)

Odd to see a mix of through-hole passives and SMD actives.

What exactly does this pedal do?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Leevibe

The faceplate is classy but I think the real show is going on inside. Those are some pro level guts my friend. SMD and through hole are as perfect as it gets.

TGP39

Quote from: Leevibe on January 20, 2020, 09:43:14 PM
The faceplate is classy but I think the real show is going on inside. Those are some pro level guts my friend. SMD and through hole are as perfect as it gets.
Could not agree more.  You did a fantastic job with the smd soldering!
~Steve
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.