News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lectric FX – Bloozehound (Boss BD-2)

Started by Bio77, January 27, 2020, 01:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

Finished this one up, this weekend.  Deciding to move the power jack to the top turned out to be a big pain, lots of shoehorning required for that small adjustment.  I should have moved the instrument jacks lower. I also misjudged the height clearance requirement for Bean's new LED trimmer PCB.  I had to wire the trimmer in from the side.

For the graphics I was shooting for a late 80s skateboard look.  I really like the way it came out.  Enclosure is a polished 1590B with no film waterslide.

Here's a dual 250KB that I converted to a dual 250KA, for the build.  Only burnt myself twice to do it!

dawson

Another awesome graphic!  I really like the colors you used against the sanded enclosure, that dusty pink is great.
Super tight wiring and soldering that dual POT- I didn't know a B could be used to make an A taper- I'll surely be looking into that, thanks a lot for sharing!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

diablochris6

Gnarly look there! I think you nailed that skater punk vibe.That's a real sneaky way to attach the resistors to the pot.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

TGP39

I'm really admiring your soldering lately.  Guts look fantastic as usual. 
Dawson:   Check out this article from R.G. keen

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

~Steve
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

dawson

Quote from: TGP39 on January 27, 2020, 07:40:51 PM

~Steve

^How cool! thanks a lot Steve- you just saved me a substantial amount of goo-gaggling
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jimilee

That looks fantastic. Interesting contrast in the sound of the drive vs the looks. I dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bret608

You won me over at '80s skateboard look! My first deck (circa 1987) was a Vision Mark Gonzales.  Now I feel like hunting down that graphic to pirate for a build.

Bio77

Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Quote from: dawson on January 27, 2020, 02:33:51 PM
Another awesome graphic!  I really like the colors you used against the sanded enclosure, that dusty pink is great.
Super tight wiring and soldering that dual POT- I didn't know a B could be used to make an A taper- I'll surely be looking into that, thanks a lot for sharing!
Quote from: TGP39 on January 27, 2020, 07:40:51 PM

Thanks for posting the link, that is the one I used  ;D  About the soldering, part of the process I picked up on from my first smd build was cleaning the board with acetone.  You need to clean off the flux to see if the smd parts are on there right.  I'm adding that step to all builds now, because it does make the guts look nice.  Trick I learned on youtube is to lay a chem-wipe over the board then use a q-tip over that.  The chem-wipe soaks up the flux and it doesn't take long.

Quote from: diablochris6 on January 27, 2020, 07:07:44 PM
Gnarly look there! I think you nailed that skater punk vibe.
Quote from: jimilee on January 28, 2020, 06:36:24 AM
That looks fantastic. Interesting contrast in the sound of the drive vs the looks. I dig it.
Quote from: Bret608 on January 28, 2020, 08:32:27 AM
You won me over at '80s skateboard look! My first deck (circa 1987) was a Vision Mark Gonzales.  Now I feel like hunting down that graphic to pirate for a build.
Thanks, I had a lot of fun with this.  My dad had a skateboard shop for a while in the late 80s.  Unfortunately, it didn't do well.  However, he saved one of the decks, so, at some point I'll get an NOS Sims Staab mini 8)

destro

I've probably glanced at the secret life of pots half a dozen times but never picked up the linear to log coversion. So did I understand correctly that you just use a value between 1/4 and 1/5 of the overall value to achieve the taper? Looks like you used 51k.

cooder

Fab! And the look is just cool! Nice pot hack there too!
BigNoise Amplification

Bio77

Quote from: destro on February 09, 2020, 06:58:17 PM
I've probably glanced at the secret life of pots half a dozen times but never picked up the linear to log coversion. So did I understand correctly that you just use a value between 1/4 and 1/5 of the overall value to achieve the taper? Looks like you used 51k.
That's correct.  Tricky part is figuring out which side is the hot side.  This is my first time using this method, I'm not sure the resistor is always going to be between legs 1 and 2. 
Quote from: cooder on February 09, 2020, 07:13:25 PM
Fab! And the look is just cool! Nice pot hack there too!
Thanks Cooder!

destro

Getting around to building one of these. I did more reading and research on the pot trick as it didn't seem to make sense to me and found that the trick works on voltage dividers but not variable resistor setups.

"However, there is no way to get a simulation of a log taper pot in the two terminal connection. For that we have to buy real audio taper pots."

In your pic, it looks like you have the resistor between the two legs tied together, so it isn't doing anything and if you are able to get the gain settings you want than no bother. The taper, if I understand correctly, of the audio pot would allow more fine tuning in low gain selections.