News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbaby Buffered Bypass

Started by r080, January 28, 2020, 06:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r080

I am curious if anyone has built a Dirtbaby with a buffered bypass similar to the original DMM. I like the idea of ending my board with a buffer/volume even with the delay off. I know Howard Davis has publicly said he thinks the true bypass DMM was a bad idea.

Does the Dirtbaby have any trouble with matching on and off volumes in true bypass, given it has the trim resistor?

It looks like I just need to take switch the output off the blend pot before the 150 Ohm resistor and jumper some pads on the board.

r080

I tried it, but I must have done something wrong. There was a lot of the effect signal even with the switch off. I am pretty sure I just matched the old DMM bypass.

I am not going to do a build report, but I figured I would post this here since I am in the mods area: It sounds great. However, I would definitely recommend the resistor changes to decrease the range of the modulation depth and speed. For the stock values, it can go so fast that it ceases to be modulation, and just adds noise. The depth is such that the control at noon is what I would consider the maximum for normal use. Also, it can be pretty difficult to get at the mod depth resistor after the surrounding components are in place.

Also, I wanted a very different control layout, and did end up with some LFO ticking at first, solved after moving wires around.