News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Graphics on Printed Laser Paper

Started by BrianS, January 29, 2020, 02:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianS

It's been a way long time since I've posted something.  I've had so many failed builds that I just resigned to really almost stopping completely.  I exclusively used my ink jet printer for decals and the last time I went to try and print one the half full cartridge had dried up and every internet tip I used would not get the ink flowing.  At basically $50 a pop for black and color I was ready to start using a sharpie.  DiabloChris posted a thread using reverse printing on plan paper (laser), water based poly to affix it and rubbing the paper off under water until the graphic came through and then clear coat it.  I did that a couple of times with success.  That turned a light on and I decided to try and do a right side laser paper print, clear coat the graphic, affix it with poly and then clear coat it on the enclosure.  Below are some of the results I've had.  If you're going to try using a white background I would only do it on a white enclosure.  I've only tried this when covering the entire face of the enclosure.  The more clear coat you put on after affixing it, I would say 6 coats minimum, the better.  For an .80 cent piece of printed paper at Staples it was well worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan.schumaker

Looks awesome!  Great to see a Dragon Claw and Overload Dual out in the wild!

BrianS

Quote from: dan.schumaker on January 29, 2020, 02:10:18 PM
Looks awesome!  Great to see a Dragon Claw and Overload Dual out in the wild!

The Overload is spectacular.  I PM'ed you. 

jimilee

Those look fantastic. You can get white water slide paper in addition to clear. It really changed how I did things.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

BrianS

Quote from: jimilee on January 29, 2020, 04:10:25 PM
Those look fantastic. You can get white water slide paper in addition to clear. It really changed how I did things.

Yeah Jim that's what I used most of the time.  It's the freaking ink jet cartridge that was the undoing.  I had at least 2 half full black and color cartridges give out on me (my fault for not using them) and this experiment worked well.  The poly gives you plenty of time get it on right and it's really inexpensive.