News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dual Overdrives, Tempest Deluxe Phaser & Spiralizer Deluxe Vibe

Started by dan.schumaker, February 19, 2020, 07:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Here are a few builds I've been working on the last little bit...

Spiralizer Deluxe - This is a continuation of my 3rd place finishing Spiralizer pedal.  I took the basic building block of it and added on.  Add on's to the circuit was to have two Rate/Intensity settings that you can switch between, adding Hi and Low tone controls, and a Chorus/Vibrato switch to bring some dry signal into the Univibe sound.  I really like being able to switch between the two speed ranges.  In the future I might look into adding a Ramp control, but for now, I am happy with how it turned out. 

Tempest Deluxe - Speaking of ramp controls, this is the Tempest Deluxe Phaser.  I made a vero phaser with RG Keen's LERA (http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Madbean-NomNom-with-Depth-and-LERA-td26830.html) a while ago, and sold it in my last pedal clearout.  Before I sent it out, I was playing through it and realized what a cool concept it is.  So I made a board of my own for it.  The LERA is a Leslie Effect Rotor Adapter and it allows you to ramp between a high speed and a low speed, and there is a control for how fast that ramping happens.  Other than that addition, this is just a modded Phase 90 pedal.  There are controls for Mix, Speed, Regen, Width, Ramp, High and Low speeds, and a switch to change caps (similar to the VFE Tractor Beam phaser).  Like on the Spiralizer, I like being able to switch between a low and high speed, and hearing the LFO ramp the speed up, instead of an instant change.

Skirmish - This Tube Screamer/Bluesbreaker is inspired by the King Tone Duellist pedal.  I've been seeing it talked about a lot on thegearpage and other places, so I decided to take a stab at it.  It is a Tube Screamer into a Bluesbreaker.  On the Tube Screamer side, there are internal DIP switches to go from Sym/Asym clipping, or to add extra diodes in to make it a little more compressed sounding.  The voice switch changes the bass response of the gain (like a Timmy bass control).  The Bluesbreaker side is similar, with a voice switch to change the bass response, and the DIP switches to go from Sym/Asym clipping or to add hard clipping diodes to ground.  Something I learned on this build, is that my pinout of MMBFJ201's has been wrong for years.  Typically I have used a dual package JFET, but for whatever reason I used just the SMD package.  After trying to figure out why my Bluesbreaker volume wasn't over unity, I realized that the pinout was wrong  >:( >:( >:(  A few solder connections later, I have a Bluesbreaker with plenty of volume.

Steel Phoenix - This is a dual drive based on the Vertex Steel String Singer and Ultra Phonix.  In reality, all it is is an Orman mini-boost (Steel) and a Zendrive without the voice control (Phonix).  So I combined the two into one box.  You know what they both sound like, but it is a nice combination to be able to boost the Zendrive with the Steel side.  The control layout was again inspired by the King Tone Duellist.

alanp

... you are feeling okay, right? I mean, none of these circuits are squeezed into a 1590A... :) (Nice work!)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Those look awesome!  The ramp function on the Tempest is a super cool idea. 

cooder

Mega cool stuff and the ramp switching is such a cool addition! Kapoow! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

I wonder where a board for said phaser could be picked up...
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

Killer stuff! I like the bigger enclosures and the circuits, very cool pedals indeed.

nzCdog

DLW

Great stuff! That phaser sounds really interesting. Sending you a PM...

pgodfrin

Nice stuff man! Is that artwork the Armour-All on photo paper technique?

dan.schumaker

Quote from: pgodfrin on February 20, 2020, 07:51:32 PM
Nice stuff man! Is that artwork the Armour-All on photo paper technique?

The artwork is something I am continually working on.  Where I am at now is printing on printable vinyl (with a sticky back), then running it through my wife's laminator in laminating pouches (Like these https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Thermal-Laminating-100-Pack-TP3854-100/dp/B007VBXB48/ref=sxin_0_osp137-a602be5b_cov?ascsubtag=a602be5b-d622-4a29-bc07-b225e390f888&creativeASIN=B007VBXB48&cv_ct_cx=laminating+pouches&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.a602be5b-d622-4a29-bc07-b225e390f888&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=laminating+pouches&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B007VBXB48&pd_rd_r=4c888d55-0327-46eb-9be4-71d470ff705f&pd_rd_w=tyic6&pd_rd_wg=5Dg0i&pf_rd_p=eb3e5cda-5ec9-4d94-919d-310a5d641b8b&pf_rd_r=0ANT9BABCGGBM2N1QMX4&qid=1582291516&tag=the-angle-20). 

I used to place some clear vinyl on top, but it was finicky to lay down with no bubbles or wrinkles.  This is easier to put on, since you just run it through the machine, but I'm not sure if I am totally happy with how it drills out. 

Hopefully this will all be sorted out when my laser comes in late next month  ;D

EBK

Quote from: dan.schumaker on February 21, 2020, 05:27:17 AM
but I'm not sure if I am totally happy with how it drills out. 
I'm not sure I 100% understand your process, but perhaps you could use some hollow punches to cut holes through your labels instead of drilling through them, if that's what you've been doing.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

pgodfrin

I'v been experimenting with stickon vinyl as well. So far it's just monochromatic. How did you get the printed image on the vinyl?