News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Official Coronavirus Discussion

Started by peAk, February 27, 2020, 07:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

There have been no deaths under 15 to my knowledge, but if you're an 80 year old smoker with a pre existing heart condition you're going to struggle.

culturejam

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 07, 2020, 11:40:13 PM
It isn't the media that is restricting travel, or quarantining people in hotels or closing schools.

Great point.

And also, I would encourage everyone to view this whole fiasco as a free practice run to tighten up our response plans and protocols for when something really dangerous does start to spread quickly. USA is definitely not ready, but this scare will hopefully motivate us to get smarter on the response.

And just as a data point: I'm in NJ (3 confirmed cases, 1 presumed), and nobody has made a run on the grocery stores yet. Hand sanitizer is getting harder to find, and masks have been gone for more than a month, but otherwise all shelves are fully stocked.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

EBK

I'm much much more worried about protecting myself from irrational people than I am about viruses and supply scarcity.  The imperfect information flow is apparently causing many people to distrust government and substitute imperfect zombie apocalypse planning. I missed the Walking Dead episode about the ultrarisky raid on the zombie filled Costco to grab TP though.  That would have been hilarious!

We need our comedy writers to cook up some parody here!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

dan.schumaker

I had to go to Costco to get TP and other things yesterday, and I kinda wanted to wear a sogn saying "I'm not some doomsday prepper, we just need TP"

I will say, I did notice the TP level to be a little lower than normal.  Also, I checked a few stores and nobody has any dried beans around here, looks like I might be SOL on making homemade refried  beans this next week...

pickdropper

Quote from: dan.schumaker on March 08, 2020, 08:00:34 AM
I had to go to Costco to get TP and other things yesterday, and I kinda wanted to wear a sogn saying "I'm not some doomsday prepper, we just need TP"

I will say, I did notice the TP level to be a little lower than normal.  Also, I checked a few stores and nobody has any dried beans around here, looks like I might be SOL on making homemade refried  beans this next week...

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

thesmokingman

the lysol section was empty ... the hand sanitizer too ... plenty of hand soap though ... in fairness, this is the same set of NY retirees that run the store out of basic supplies every time a storm is going to strike anywhere in the state
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

somnif

I can add my local Target to the list now, too:

alanp

I can't help but suspect that, if you were to take a poll and rely on that, you'd think that in half a year, we'll all be living Mad Max: The Road Warrior, and murdering each other for enough petrol toilet paper to last half an hour.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

I also find it amusing that should the apocalypse come, people prioritise having a clean arse over just about everything else.

This is why we won't survive...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Willybomb

AlanP, have you read your signature lately?

"Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
- Cohen the Barbarian, on what is greatest in life

alanp

Heh... thing is, that line was originally taking the piss out of Conan the Barbarian's famous reply.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Which in itself is a riff on Ghengis Khan.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Willybomb

I'm reading Conn Iggulden's series on Ghengis Khan now, actually.  What he and his brothers achieved was phenomenal - especially when you consider that they were cast out as teenagers/children with their mother by the tribe when his father died.... in the middle of winter, with no shelter or equipment (from how Conn tells it anyway, but history backs that up).

Back to CV-19.  Italy has been shut down...

EBK

There is finally a confirmed case within 10 miles of me.  I need to stock up on beer very soon (not Corona beer).  Priorities.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber