News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wavelord doesnt have uniform depth

Started by ferdinandstrat, March 01, 2020, 08:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferdinandstrat

OK guys, so I built the Wavelord using an NSL32 and I crank the depth up to max. Thing is that the square wave sounds nice and choppy, but the sine and triangle wave for example dont have nearly the same depth

Is it because of my choice of optocoupler?

madbean

I don't think so. That's normal for any optical tremolo AFAIK. Your ear hears a square wave at a more intense depth because of the sudden loss of amplitude whereas with a sine or triangle wave the amplitude falls off in a more linear (or logarithmic) fashion. IOW, the gap b/w signal and no signal is much more pronounced with a square wave.

The difference b/w the NSL32 and the VTL5C9 is more about photocell response time (as I described in the doc). The total amount of trem depth between the two should be about the same, I think.

benny_profane

Quote from: madbean on March 01, 2020, 08:52:43 AM
I don't think so. That's normal for any optical tremolo AFAIK. Your ear hears a square wave at a more intense depth because of the sudden loss of amplitude whereas with a sine or triangle wave the amplitude falls off in a more linear (or logarithmic) fashion. IOW, the gap b/w signal and no signal is much more pronounced with a square wave.

The difference b/w the NSL32 and the VTL5C9 is more about photocell response time (as I described in the doc). The total amount of trem depth between the two should be about the same, I think.

Do you think that the smoothing filter (~20ms rise/fall from pin6 to ground) adds to that perception? I think what you said about the role of perceived amplitude is right on.

ferdinandstrat

Quote from: madbean on March 01, 2020, 08:52:43 AM

This is why I love the support forum more than a Facebook group, I can be a total noob without people acting all condescending like and actually explain to me properly what is wrong

Thank you for the answer so much and thank you for your fantastic products and support