News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hummingbird tremolo and DOD 440 reissue

Started by Thewintersoldier, March 06, 2020, 11:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

DOD 440 reissue with up/down switch. OTA like all the reissues. This one sounds really good. Not a bad sound in this one.

EQD hummingbird. I'm a tremolo slut (phasers too) and this one is like no other trem I have. Some really neat and different sounds at higher speeds. I like the Tom Morello Killswitch type stuttering it can do.

Who the hell is Bucky?

Caedarn

Nice build, as always.  How do you like those helping hands?  (I need a better set, and am trying to decide between this style and the Quad Hands)

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: JoeR3155 on March 07, 2020, 12:03:06 AM
Nice build, as always.  How do you like those helping hands?  (I need a better set, and am trying to decide between this style and the Quad Hands)
Thanks, I like them a lot. got a 6 pack cheap on amazon. I made mine removable. I use them to also hold my diy LED light and exaust fan. my whole solder station is diy. you cant go wrong with these, so many uses.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Caedarn

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 07, 2020, 12:33:27 AM
Thanks, I like them a lot. got a 6 pack cheap on amazon. I made mine removable. I use them to also hold my diy LED light and exaust fan. my whole solder station is diy. you cant go wrong with these, so many uses.

Thanks - didn't mean to hijack your build report thread - again, great stuff!

jimilee

Wow, nice. How do you like the 440? I've built one myself.
You're building up quite the pile of pedals. Might be time to build a guitar or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: JoeR3155 on March 07, 2020, 12:41:47 AM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 07, 2020, 12:33:27 AM

Thanks - didn't mean to hijack your build report thread - again, great stuff!
It's all good. I really love my whole set-up and like to show it off lol
Who the hell is Bucky?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on March 07, 2020, 12:47:42 AM
You're building up quite the pile of pedals. Might be time to build a guitar or two.

I'm out of the guitar game. I've had many over the years. 6 years ago I had around 22 and these all made the cut. I can only play one at a time anyways haha. If I did get anything else I'd probably get another gretsch, I miss my old one sometimes
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 07, 2020, 01:44:05 AM

I'm out of the guitar game. I've had many over the years. 6 years ago I had around 22 and these all made the cut. I can only play one at a time anyways haha. If I did get anything else I'd probably get another gretsch, I miss my old one sometimes

I hear you, I don't even want to talk about how many I have, it's too many, I'll tell you that. Some of my favorites are the ones I've built though, it just goes hand in hand with building pedals.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on March 07, 2020, 01:51:52 AM

I hear you, I don't even want to talk about how many I have, it's too many, I'll tell you that. Some of my favorites are the ones I've built though, it just goes hand in hand with building pedals.

My tele, strat and jazzmaster are all parted together by me and I made them to the specs I wanted since I couldn't buy them like that. All my others are rewired and new pickups and all that. I went thru a pickup modding phase long ago where I swapped different magnets in them all, then different cap type values, learning to make bone nuts. I'm surprised it took me so long to start making pedals after years of modding/fixing my own amps
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Those look great!  I'm going to give the verde green a try on my next build.  Do you treat the enclosure before painting?  I've had bad luck with spay paint in the past, but I'm starting to get sick of the same enclosures.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bio77 on March 07, 2020, 06:33:09 PM
Those look great!  I'm going to give the verde green a try on my next build.  Do you treat the enclosure before painting?  I've had bad luck with spay paint in the past, but I'm starting to get sick of the same enclosures.

my process is the following:  sanding the enclosure, usually with oribital hand sander. clean with whatever you have, i usually use alcohol or naptha. Prime with rustoleum primer, two coats. Three coats of hammered paint, sometimes four depending on color. 20 mins in convection toaster oven and apply graphics once cool. whole process takes about an hour . I have it down pretty good. After around 50 enclosures I splurged on the last tayda sale and ordered some powder coated enclosures. for odd size enclosures or certain colors I will still use hammered rustoleum.
Who the hell is Bucky?

dawson

Nice!  HummingBird's an awesome effect- I'm super happy with one I built on a strip board layout: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/04/earthquaker-devices-hummingbird.html
Call me a "quack," but I've noticed that you build a lot of envelope filters- has a favorite emerged from the ranks yet?
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jimilee

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 07, 2020, 02:13:27 AM
Quote from: jimilee on March 07, 2020, 01:51:52 AM

My tele, strat and jazzmaster are all parted together by me and I made them to the specs I wanted since I couldn't buy them like that. All my others are rewired and new pickups and all that. I went thru a pickup modding phase long ago where I swapped different magnets in them all, then different cap type values, learning to make bone nuts. I'm surprised it took me so long to start making pedals after years of modding/fixing my own amps
Wow, nice. I haven't ventured into amps yet. Short of a lot, I'm not sure where to begin.

Bio77

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 07, 2020, 07:30:23 PM

my process is the following:  sanding the enclosure, usually with oribital hand sander. clean with whatever you have, i usually use alcohol or naptha. Prime with rustoleum primer, two coats. Three coats of hammered paint, sometimes four depending on color. 20 mins in convection toaster oven and apply graphics once cool. whole process takes about an hour . I have it down pretty good. After around 50 enclosures I splurged on the last tayda sale and ordered some powder coated enclosures. for odd size enclosures or certain colors I will still use hammered rustoleum.

Cool, thanks for the info.  What grit paper do you sand with?  What temp on the oven?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bio77 on March 07, 2020, 11:10:43 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 07, 2020, 07:30:23 PM

Cool, thanks for the info.  What grit paper do you sand with?  What temp on the oven?
I use 100 grit just so it's even and the paint can grab. I use the lowest heat setting on the oven. 175-200 for 20 mins. To long or high and the paint starts burning or gets a wired texture.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?