News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Micro controller installed upside down

Started by dlazzarini, March 15, 2020, 08:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlazzarini

After 6 successful VFE builds without a single error, the inevitable happened. I  installed the micro controller on the switchboard upside down. I found the problem after I powered the pedal up and found that the footswitch did nothing and the led stayed lit. I haven't desoldered it yet. Is there anyone else who has  experienced this blunder that could tell me if I damaged the IC or not? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BrianS

I think I did that on my 3rd one.  Just be careful when you desolder.  The pins are not very strong.  Do one and wait bit before you move to the next one so you don't overheat the controller.  As long as you go slowly you should be ok.  I would prime each pin with a little extra solder to get it to flow quicker.  If you can clear each pad the first time you'll be golden. 

gordo

I've goofed a PIC on one build and got the wrong relay for one of the larger "Live" boards and managed to gracefully (well except for the language) salvage both.  Like BrianS says, take your time and you'll be OK.

Interestingly, I've NEVER soldered in a socket upside down.  Sigh...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?