News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

More depth out of the Wavelord

Started by ferdinandstrat, March 24, 2020, 07:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferdinandstrat

So I find myself having to max out the depth, on the sine and triangle waveforms anyway, the square sounds great though. I can barely hear the depth especially on medium to high speeds(I know that on high speed it's supposed to sound like a ring mod)

I am using the NSL32 instead of the VTL5C9

madbean

What optocoupler did you use?

The only tweak available to increase depth would be to lower R24. It's 1k stock but you could go down to 470R. This will increase the max brightness of the internal LED which in turn will increase the range from dark to light in the internal LDR.

ferdinandstrat

NSL32 but I dont think it was the R3

And I figured as much, but for some reason I thought about increasing the value...no idea why

Thanks, Madbean!

ferdinandstrat

I replaced the 1k with a 470R and there's no noticeable difference.

ferdinandstrat

I checked and I dont think it's the R3 version of the NSL32

madbean

Quote from: ferdinandstrat on March 28, 2020, 12:09:58 PM
I checked and I dont think it's the R3 version of the NSL32

All the R3 I have have R3 printed on it. If that's the case it could certainly explain your issue. The off resistance of the R3 is 10 times that of the R1.

ferdinandstrat

NSL32R3 or NSL32SR3? Cos I just got the SR3 and no change

I also noticed that on the sine wave the indication led doesnt turn off completely unlike on the triangle or square wave

ferdinandstrat

Due to the oddities with the sine wave not turning fully off and another issue with the multiplier having an additional 1/4 division after the highest one I tried replacing the lfo chip which didnt change anything either

madbean

Quote from: ferdinandstrat on April 25, 2020, 09:28:54 AM
Due to the oddities with the sine wave not turning fully off and another issue with the multiplier having an additional 1/4 division after the highest one I tried replacing the lfo chip which didnt change anything either

I went back an looked at the Datasheet for the TAPLFO3 and it turns out there is a reason for the setting beyond 4:1 on the multiplier. It's not shown on the application circuit but it is documented as to why that happens...I just did not put it together until I re-read it.

I will post a mod tomorrow to show how you can eliminate that extra setting. It should be very easy to do.

ferdinandstrat

Thanks man, you are awesome

Also, I got a VTL5C9 and it sounds much better, there's a lot more depth

madbean

Quote from: ferdinandstrat on May 18, 2020, 05:13:00 AM
Thanks man, you are awesome

Also, I got a VTL5C9 and it sounds much better, there's a lot more depth

Okay, that's good to hear. I didn't want to suggest that since you already replaced the initial opto but I do agree that the c9 does work much better for the TAPLFO. I noticed it much more on the second bank of waveforms (b/w the NSL and 5C9) but overall I think the fast response time of the C9 works out to be a big advantage.

I'm a little late getting to this but I will do my best to get the multiplier mod done tomorrow.

ferdinandstrat

Its all cool man, you already helped me a lot here

madbean

ferdinandstrat

Brian, did I ever tell you that I love you?