News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stage Fright PCB

Started by xjotun, March 28, 2020, 07:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjotun

Through my research I have found that the pcb for the stage fright was discontinued. I saw one member will still make discontinued boards. Would this be one of those? If not is there any way to obtain one? Very interested in putting one together as I have a strong itch for a new phaser as well as build. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did try and search the forum for answers before this post.

Thanks in advance!

madbean

The discontinued boards are old single sided PCB I used to do. The Stage Fright is a dual layer board so it's not available.

I can check and see if I have any left. I think I might have one. I'll see and get back to you.

Drew Hallenbeck

I was also sad to see the Stage Fright go away. Luckily, I was able to give Brian a shout and get a leftover board from him. (Thanks Bean!)
I got thinking about it and decided that I'd like to have more.............
One thing that was always an issue was getting everything to fit just right in the enclosure. Holes have to be drilled very carefully or you'll run into problems. Also, I really like to use top mounted jacks whenever possible and it was definitely not possible here. I thought about having the layout redone using SMD versions of the 13700s (maybe all of the ICs) to save some space and shrink the board. As it turned out, that wouldn't have saved as much space as I thought and it would have made routing the traces a lot more difficult. But switching most of the resistors to 1/8W did the trick!
I worked with Richard Seidlitz of Airis Effects on the layout and told him about the changes I wanted to make. He knocked it out pretty quick and I've got a batch ordered up to test out.
The toggle has moved down a bit and it now switches up/down instead of left/right. The rate LED is below the control instead of above and the indicator LED is moved up to the top of the board in the middle.
Another change was to have the toggle select between 4 and 6 stages of phasing instead of 5 and 6. I get why Brian did his that way, so the original circuit's 5 stages could be available.
The board is still a pretty good size but with the changes we made, top mounting the jacks should now work out just fine.
The picture with the paper cutout is a little deceiving. It looks like it's a lot higher than it should be but it's sitting on top of a populated circuit in the enclosure. The jacks should just clear everything!
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Drew Hallenbeck

Oh yeah, and we added pads so that it can use a through-hole or an SMD 5457.
The through-hole ones are still out there but they're getting harder to find and a bit more costly!
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"

Boba7

Quote from: Drew Hallenbeck on March 28, 2020, 10:04:13 PM
The through-hole ones are still out there but they're getting harder to find and a bit more costly!

That looks great! Good job!
Is IC2 the lfo? (with a jack that close there could be some audible ticking)

Drew Hallenbeck

Quote from: Boba7 on March 29, 2020, 04:13:24 PM

Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't even consider the proximity to the jack. I'm hoping it wont be an issue but we could always shove a few things around if necessary!

xjotun

I understand, figured it was a long shot. If you do come across one just let me know.

Drew Hallenbeck

Quote from: xjotun on March 29, 2020, 04:34:49 PM
I understand, figured it was a long shot. If you do come across one just let me know.

Does that mean Brian couldn't find an extra for you?
I'll pay it forward and send you the one I got from him if you'd like.
Hopefully I'll have some new ones that'll work for me soon enough!

Boba7

Quote from: Drew Hallenbeck on March 29, 2020, 04:24:42 PM
Quote from: Boba7 on March 29, 2020, 04:13:24 PM

Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't even consider the proximity to the jack. I'm hoping it wont be an issue but we could always shove a few things around if necessary!

I had that issue in a Phasor II build with top jacks, I had to put a piece of shielded tape between the IC and the jack.
Hope you'll get it working correctly soon! :)

Scruffie

You should know, the 5/6 stage switch on Brian's is a misnomer, it's actually a 6/7 stage switch, the fixed all pass filter before the mixing makes 6 stages with the 5 swept.

What that means is, your circuit now has a 5/7 stage switch and will only ever provide out of phase phasing, where as the original (as basically every phaser is) was positive.
Works at Lectric-FX

Drew Hallenbeck

I'm loving all the feedback! You people are awesome!
I can't wait to get the first batch of boards and test one out. I'm all about finding mistakes or happy accidents! I'll make changes as needed and keep you all posted!

Guitar Tech Craig

Please bring back the Stage Fright.  Great sounding pedal.  Anyone who's borrowed mine won't give it back.