News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Programming StompLFO chips

Started by DLW, March 29, 2020, 10:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLW

Does anybody have any experience programming Stomp LFO chips from Electric Druid? The code is freely available on his website, but it doesn't download as a .hex file and I have no idea how to convert it to a format that my Pickit3 recognizes. I also tried to use my GQ-4X4 to download the code from a preprogrammed chip. However, the GQ-4X4 doesn't have a PIC16F18313 in its device list. I submitted a request to GQ-4X4. Hopefully, I hear back from them.

As I sit here typing this, I realize that I never tried to use the Pickit3 to read a preprogrammed chip. I'll try that now.

Anybody have any suggestions?

selfdestroyer

On his page https://electricdruid.net/electric-druid-chips-the-next-generation/

you will see the link:
http://www.electricdruid.net/code/STOMPLFO.HEX

Just right click on the link and choose "Save Link As..."

It will then download as a HEX file. I was able to download it and open it in MPLAB.

DLW

Yep, that was the first thing I tried. For reasons that I don't understand at all, my PC does not recognize the file as a .hex. I'm saving it as ".hex".

The weird thing is that I am able to pull code from a TAPLFO using the GQ4x4, and my PC recognizes that file as a .hex.

jimilee

Can you make a TAPLFO? I'm in need of one, I can't find the one I had before I moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DLW

Yep. You just need the PIC16 chip, a programmer that recognizes the PIC16, and the .hex code (in a recognizable .hex format).

selfdestroyer

Quote from: DLW on April 04, 2020, 11:01:40 AM
Yep, that was the first thing I tried. For reasons that I don't understand at all, my PC does not recognize the file as a .hex. I'm saving it as ".hex".

The weird thing is that I am able to pull code from a TAPLFO using the GQ4x4, and my PC recognizes that file as a .hex.

See if this works for you:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L4F42kXzqh47YXVPxXqRTo8m7OdjV8hQ/view?usp=sharing

I zipped it up for you.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: jimilee on April 04, 2020, 01:28:37 PM
Can you make a TAPLFO? I'm in need of one, I can't find the one I had before I moved.

Unfortunately I don't have the stuff on hand to make them anymore. I made a bunch a couple years back for people that were building the Twin Peaks. Sorry Jimi, if I run across one its yours.

Cody

jimilee

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 04, 2020, 03:29:17 PM

Unfortunately I don't have the stuff on hand to make them anymore. I made a bunch a couple years back for people that were building the Twin Peaks. Sorry Jimi, if I run across one its yours.

Cody
Hey thanks Cody.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DLW

Thanks, a lot! That did the trick :)

Cody

jimilee

Quote from: DLW on April 06, 2020, 10:25:39 AM

Thanks, a lot! That did the trick :)

Cody
Did I miss something?

DLW

A quote within a quote on accident. I was thanking him for helping me with the code.

jimilee

Quote from: DLW on April 06, 2020, 12:36:38 PM
A quote within a quote on accident. I was thanking him for helping me with the code.
Ah, I was excited, I thought maybe you could make TAPLFO chips.

gordo

Let me do some digging Jimi.  If the code is released and I have the chips I can likely kick out a few.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on April 06, 2020, 03:38:04 PM
Let me do some digging Jimi.  If the code is released and I have the chips I can likely kick out a few.
I don't mind paying at all.

DLW

I feel like ~$10 (including shipping) from Electric Druid is a fair price. Plus, the money goes to the person that developed the chip... https://electricdruid.net/product/taplfo3/

Small Bear sells them for $10 (without shipping), if you're able to wait and want to purchase locally.