News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need longer-lasting 900M-T-I solder tip - any suggestions?

Started by Bucksears, April 25, 2020, 09:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksears

I've gotten spoiled with the long, fine-point of the 900M-T-I type solder tips that I've been using for pedal builds these last 8mos, but they are some of the shortest-lasting I've ever used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FNLQ7KN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The tip/point starts degrading within a day of use; this is with soldering at intervals of about 10min at a time. Not using tinner (Weller rep said that dissolves the plating if used too much), but I am using the 'brass shavings' ball to clean the tip while working.

Can anyone recommend something identical (compatible Hakko model?) that would have better longevity?
I'm using an inexpensive soldering iron, with an adjustable temperature dial on the handle, and an inline on/off switch. I'm only using this for building pedals, occasional guitar maintenance and even less occasional amp-building. The soldering iron itself works great, it's just these tips that keep crapping out.

Option B would be to keep buying these cheap ones and toss them as they wear out; would rather have something that performs a bit better.
Thx!