News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tips For Desoldering Components

Started by FuzzMonkey, April 28, 2020, 10:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuzzMonkey

I've been doing a few repairs lately on a handful of commercial pedals that often require desoldering faulty components. My main to techniques involve desoldering wick and a good old solder sucker.

Does anybody want tricks and tips on better using these methods more effectively? Especially on double-sided PCBs?

alanp

It's a bit counter-intuitive at first, but adding fresh solder to a stubborn joint can help sometimes.

Also, stainless steel dental pick can sometimes help.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

Haven't tried these yet, but desoldering needles look interesting.

http://youtu.be/b_5HgsIGb2E
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

madbean

If you don't care about the part cut it out first. You can often pull the leads out just with a soldering iron and wire cutters. Then you just have to remove solder from the pad. Works really well.

EBK

Quote from: alanp on April 28, 2020, 11:20:46 PM
I have found dental picks to be very useful at opening up solder-filled pads/lugs after a part or wire has been removed.  Simple heat the solder and wiggle the pick around and you are ready to go again. 

But, yes, I second bean's suggestion of destroying the part and removing its leads/pins one at a time.  It is the best way to ensure that you don't burn up the remaining parts/traces.  There is a corollary:  if you want to recycle a soldered part with multiple pins, the easiest way is to destroy the board.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Caedarn

Quote from: FuzzMonkey on April 28, 2020, 10:49:24 PM

Does anybody want tricks and tips on better using these methods more effectively? Especially on double-sided PCBs?
Appreciate any suggestions.  And thanks to those who've posted already. I find de-soldering quite tricky

davent

It's a bit counter-intuitive at first, but adding fresh solder to a stubborn joint can help sometimes.

Stainless steel dental picks are endlessly useful, you'll wonder how you ever got by without having one handy at all times.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

FuzzMonkey

I discovered that one works well with the desoldering wick.

Quote from: jubal81 on April 29, 2020, 12:28:10 AM
Haven't tried these yet, but desoldering needles look interesting.

Those desoldering needles do look interesting. My concern would be potentially damaging the plated through-holes. But they look easy enough to use.

Quote from: madbean on April 29, 2020, 05:35:55 AM
If you don't care about the part cut it out first. You can often pull the leads out just with a soldering iron and wire cutters. Then you just have to remove solder from the pad. Works really well.

Done that plenty of times.

Quote from: EBK on April 29, 2020, 06:07:25 AM
But, yes, I second bean's suggestion of destroying the part and removing its leads/pins one at a time.  It is the best way to ensure that you don't burn up the remaining parts/traces.  There is a corollary:  if you want to recycle a soldered part with multiple pins, the easiest way is to destroy the board.

Yes. No point adding work to a pedal repair by then having to repair other parts or traces you've damaged while trying to remove a faulty component.

Quote from: JoeR3155 on April 29, 2020, 12:23:42 PM
Appreciate any suggestions.  And thanks to those who've posted already. I find de-soldering quite tricky

+1.

Aentons

pickdropper

I'm a big fan of soldering blades.  The one I have can heat all three legs of a 16mm pot at the same time.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

skyled

I have a desoldering gun with a vacuum pump on it. The thing is magic.

FuzzMonkey

Quote from: skyled on April 30, 2020, 05:26:53 PM
I have a desoldering gun with a vacuum pump on it. The thing is magic.

Pic, please. ;)

Aentons

Quote from: pickdropper on April 30, 2020, 02:48:10 PM
I'm a big fan of soldering blades.  The one I have can heat all three legs of a 16mm pot at the same time.

I'll have to try one of those! Seems like you could burn a chip real quick with that thing if you are not careful. Do you use it when you are trying to reuse a part?

Aentons

double post