News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Music theory recommendations?

Started by mjg, May 26, 2020, 08:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

My partner is learning some music theory stuff at the moment, and she's not enjoying the whole "it's the circle of fifths, just memorise it, yo" type approach.  Her background was maths and theoretical physics years ago, so she needs more of an explanation of why these things are so, and how to arrive there at first principles, not just something to follow blindly.

So, can anyone recommend any good resources along those lines?  Youtubes or real books, either is good.  The more maths the better. 

Willybomb

Currently, AMB are doing their MEB theory course for free.  However, it starts at Prelim and goes up from there, so I don't think it's going to satisfy her need for maths.

Aentons

I really like Adam Neely on YouTube. It's definitely for all the music theory nerds out there who are looking to learn
https://www.youtube.com/user/havic5/videos

12Tone can be farly interesting as well:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w

mjg

Cool, thanks for the recommendations.  She's into Adam Neely already, and says that's the best she's found so far along these lines.

rockola

Quote from: mjg on May 27, 2020, 10:45:50 PM
Cool, thanks for the recommendations.  She's into Adam Neely already, and says that's the best she's found so far along these lines.
Another YouTuber to check out is "David Bruce Composer" www.youtube.com/user/davidbrucedotnet - he doesn't necessarily get into the mathematical foundations that much but I find his videos really enjoyable, and there is a lot of theory stuff presented in an easy to digest way.

Max

Rick Beato, has a lot of content on youtube (not only about theory) and a also a text book.

alanp

12tone are good for seeing how theory is used in real music. I understand about one word in ten, but I enjoy watching their videos.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

Quote from: Max on May 28, 2020, 06:41:27 AM
Rick Beato, has a lot of content on youtube (not only about theory) and a also a text book.

That's who I'd advise to look  at as well. He's got a very practical approach most of the time, but then can get into stuff that goes over most heads. Lots of room to grow following his work.

Plus the 'what makes this song great' series is probably the most enjoyable music analysis on Youtube.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

On youtube, I like Signals Music Studio and Trevor Wong. SMS is more theory-related, and Wong is more genre-focused (math rock, post rock, etc), but both have taught me a lot over the last 6 months or so.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects