News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Freekout rotoring sound

Started by PeakyBlinders, May 26, 2020, 04:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeakyBlinders

hello i have built the Freekout and as far as bypass and LED work, but the effect does not work.
I only hear a deep rotating like a motor and the LED flashes in sync. i put an audio file in the attachments

I have measured the voltages on all sockets before I plugged in the IC and every chip gets the necessary voltage.
I use this Power Supplie:
https://www.banzaimusic.com/rockpower-eu-18v-dc-250-ma.html

maybe I have a faulty chip?
can somebody help me, please?

Sry my rusty english, it is not my native language

best regards from Berlin/Germany

m-Kresol

Servus,

your english is just fine, but if you have trouble, I am from Austria and can assist in German, if necessary.

Did you measure your IC voltages with inserted chips? The correct voltages are listed on the last page of the build doc. Check the guidelines for debugging here: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0. Very likely you'll find the solution while going through these steps. If not, please post your voltages and pictures of top and bottom of the pcb.

power supply should be fine, btw.

cheers,
Felix
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

PeakyBlinders

hello felix thank you for your answer,
without the IC i only measured the power supply of the Input Voltage pins on the sockets.
I guess I fried the LM7815CV, I have continuity on in and output and the LT1054 got extremely hot, I think I'll fix it first and hope I didn't do more damage :(

I will contact you again.
best regards,
Markus

PeakyBlinders

Hi again, I replaced the LM7815CV and it converts to about 15V, but after about 15 seconds the voltage at the input and output drops and jumps up and down.
When I remove the LT1054 the voltages remain constant. So I assume that the LT1054 is damaged, or what could be the reason for this behavior?
I also think that the AD633 I bought on Ebay is counterfeit, because I found an entry in the forum that looks like my chip.
This chip is very expensive for my circumstances, I would like to avoid damaging others.
I am grateful for any help.

best regards

SirEgno

You could try these steps.
-Check the value of T1.
-Remove all chips except the charge pump, then check the voltage.
-If you can try another 1054.
-check solder join on the -15v trace.

PeakyBlinders

Hello, thanks for your advice, The trim poti is correct.
I re-soldered the -15V connection, after that the voltage remained constant and after removing the other IC's, I measure on the LT1054:
1= 3.62
2= 8.26
3= 0.01
4= -6.54
5= -14,75
6= 2.56
7= 1,46
8= 14,90

looks Ok, i guess

But when I plug the AD633 back in, the rotor sound starts again.

PeakyBlinders

i order a new AD633, and will see what happend to the effect.
until then thanks for your support.

best regards

PeakyBlinders

hello folks, i installed another AD633 from a reputable source and now the pedal works as it should.
One more question is the volume loss normal or is there a way to fix it?
Thanks for your support :)

best regards,
Markus

drd

Hi Markus,

Your problem seems to be exactly like mine: the clean part works ok, on the effect path however there is only noise and the voltage regulators get extremely hot. Once the AD633 is removed, the regulators work again at normal temperature, while the voltages seem to be ok too. I got my AD633 from ebay, from a Chinese seller. Can I ask you what your "reputable source" was for the AD633?

Thanks,
Csaba

danfrank

Hi, if you are in USA or Canada, these guys sell good AD633. I think they are engineering samples because the labeling looks strange. I used these in my Freakout build and worked well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-AD633KN-ANALOG-MULTIPLIER-OR-DIVIDER-1MHz-BAND-WIDTH-8P-DIP/222228593774?epid=1481463061&hash=item33bddb3c6e:g:5xwAAOSw~MJeL0m3

Other sources would be Mouser (Farnell?) but last time I checked, Mouser was out of stock

drd

Thanks for the tip, I might go for this one. He ships two for the price and even with the shipping it seems to be then cheaper as it would be from Banzai (I'm in Europe, so that would be my primary pedal parts source)