News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pig Butt - 1st Pedal Build

Started by JamesMc, May 31, 2020, 07:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesMc

This is my very first build.  Honest critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Already know I don't like the greenies...

Thanks for looking.

lars

That can't be your FIRST build. That looks like your 20th build. Very clean solder joints, especially on switches which can easily have gaps since the holes are large. Clever placement of the LED.
That looks great.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

cooder

Quote from: lars on May 31, 2020, 08:45:11 PM
That can't be your FIRST build. That looks like your 20th build. Very clean solder joints, especially on switches which can easily have gaps since the holes are large. Clever placement of the LED.
That looks great.
What he said.... Noice!
BigNoise Amplification

somnif

Seriously, my first build was a rats nest of wires, tilted components, big splashes of brown flux, and... a non-working circuit. (Not to mention a plain metal enclosure of course)

Very very well done!

nzCdog

Nice one dude, creative graphic...made me smile :)

Hexjibber

That is a really quite excellent first build, inside and out! Really impressive! Keep it up!

rockola

Great job, wish my first effort had been half as swish.

EBK

That is indeed a very fine quality build. 
The only critique I could possibly offer would be regarding the reliability of your shielding.  That box has a lot of paint, and it looks like the threaded bushings of the jacks are the only available ground connections to the enclosure.  This will probably be fine most of the time, but it could be possible to tighten the jacks so that the threads fail to contact the metal of the enclosure. I recommend grinding away a bit of paint from the inside wall around one of the jacks so the jack shoulder can contact the enclosure as well (just need to do this with one of the jacks).

Depending on your pedal board setup, you may want to ensure electrical continuity between the lid and the main body of the enclosure as well so that you would have proper shielding underneath the pedal.  This is generally much less important, however.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

So, that's your first build and you went back after your tenth build and cleaned it up, or this is the only finished pedal you've ever built?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

My first build looked more like a$$ than butt.

Very clever graphic and super nice build.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

JamesMc

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words.  Honestly, this is my very first ever pedal.  Definitely not my last.

I have completed another one since this one, but it is not an mbp board.  I have another mbp board I'm working on, but waiting on parts.

Thanks EBK for the tip.  I use powder coated enclosures as of now, because I suck at painting.  Will go back and grind off some of the paint, just to be safe.

jimilee

Quote from: JamesMc on June 01, 2020, 07:45:32 AM
Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words.  Honestly, this is my very first ever pedal.  Definitely not my last.

I have completed another one since this one, but it is not an mbp board.  I have another mbp board I'm working on, but waiting on parts.

Thanks EBK for the tip.  I use powder coated enclosures as of now, because I suck at painting.  Will go back and grind off some of the paint, just to be safe.
You win, my soldering iron isn't worthy! I'm very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

MTK

That easily looks like a 10th build. Great work.

m-Kresol

great build and I love the labelling, graphics and choice of enclosure colour. well done!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Philthy