News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

C7 Value for PIGBUTT 2019... Actually For Original op amp BMP

Started by danfrank, June 05, 2020, 09:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

Hi Everyone,
What was the original value for C7 (PB2019) on the original op amp Big Muff, does anyone know? On the PB2015 it was 1uf. On the PB2019 it's 10nf.  I've searched the net and have seen all sorts of values for this component; the most common being 150nf. Does anyone know what the original value was?
Thanks in advance...
Daniel

benny_profane

That capacitor is part of the filter in the tone bypass mode. I'm not sure why it would be 10n. The series resistor arrangement also seems a little odd to me (hopefully someone else can add to this). I'm not sure what the correct value should be, but here are the calculations.

This RC network forms a first-order high-pass filter with a pass band above and decrease of 6dB/octave below Fc.

HPF calculation:

Fc = 1/(2πRC)
Fc = 1/(2π * (47k+47k) * C)

The frequency corners for the different HPFs are:

• 10n = 169.4Hz
  • 150n = 11.3Hz
  • 1uF = 1.7Hz

Scruffie

It varied but it was never 1uF or 10nF, the usual set up was 220nF with 2 x 47k resistors.

The series resistors are a divider to try and keep the level a bit more even when switching from the lossy tone stack to bypassing it.
Works at Lectric-FX

benny_profane

Quote from: Scruffie on June 09, 2020, 07:52:00 AM
It varied but it was never 1uF or 10nF, the usual set up was 220nF with 2 x 47k resistors.

The series resistors are a divider to try and keep the level a bit more even when switching from the lossy tone stack to bypassing it.

Ah, the divider makes sense. Thanks for the input there.

For the sake of completeness, the Fc for 220n is 7.7Hz.

There will be little practical difference between 220n and 150n.

danfrank

Mandrake76

Zerro

"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"