Author Topic: TS PG-3 Overdrive Pedal  (Read 389 times)

Axldeziak

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
TS PG-3 Overdrive Pedal
« on: June 18, 2020, 06:21:17 AM »
Recently I found a bunch of guitar related things on the curb during my town's yearly junk day. There was a couple of small practice amps, Fender tuner, Realistic amplifier, cables, ect. Unfortunately, it was all in a five gallon bucket full of stank swamp water. Yeah, that was frustrating.
Anyways, I took the lot home, disassembled it all, and gave it a scrubbadub with a hose and a bristle brush out on the sidewalk. Amazingly, I got it all working.
One of the practice amps I found was a TS PG-3 Overdrive. It's one of the generic 3w amps you see with names like First Act, Ammoon, Aroma... The speaker was ruined and I wanted the 386 power amp for another project, so I dissected the overdrive circuit and built a pedal out of it. I added a switchable voltage doubler for fun and it worked pretty well.
Below is the schematic I drew up from the OD and the box I put it all into. The box is wood, originally a 80's Polo gift box with a slide-out lid. I covered it all in black patent leather and used the corners and rails from a busted storage box to dress it up a bit.

Axldeziak

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
Re: TS PG-3 Overdrive Pedal
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 06:23:40 AM »
And one more pic.

gordo

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • Project Website
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 07:04:34 AM »
Wow, nice job!  What a cool idea.
Gordy Power
On lockdown outside of Chicago

jimilee

• Global Moderator
  • Electron Doctor
  • Jimi Lee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 07:34:39 AM »
Damn yo, you win teh intertubz for today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Axldeziak

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 08:16:45 AM »
I'm glad ya'll liked it. I gave the pedal away but it was fun to mess around with while I had it.

If anyone has one of these PG-3 amps, please take a moment and see if yours has the value of the unknown capacitor listed on my schematic. All mine had was the polarity marked.

Also, does anyone know a source for the L channel rails I used on the box? I found the manufacture online but they only sell it by the ton ($2,100-$2,500). I don't quite need that much...

gordo

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • Project Website
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 10:56:38 AM »
Are you state-side?
Gordy Power
On lockdown outside of Chicago

Axldeziak

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »
Yes, I am in TN.

TGP39

• Electron Doctor
  • Steven
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 12:58:23 AM »
You are a better DIY man than me.   I would have looked at the stank swamp water and kept on walking.   ;D
This is really impressive.  I admire your ability to see beyond the 'junk' and create something fantastic.  Kudos.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.