Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Partscaster experience?

Started by LaceSensor, July 03, 2020, 12:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hi all

Long time no post.
Im considering attempting to put together a partscaster.
without writing an essay, its been an ambition of mine to have a relic guitar for a long time. I wanted a Danocaster but they are prohibitively expensive, and even now they started production again, its impossible to custom order and they sell them via instagram at 4am to the faster trigger finger...
That or a custom shop Fender, I suppose, and again they are even more expensive.

I figure a more affordable and perhaps fun way into the game would be to source some parts and "screw it together".
I appreciate there is more to it than simply screwing parts together.

Having said that, does anyone have any experience with MJT bodies, specifically a strat style (VTS)?
Suggestions on more economical ways, particularly in the UK, to get a aged finish on a neck would be welcome too.

Thanks!

ahiddentableau

I have an MJT body but it isn't reliced. The basic quality is good, but their finish is on the thicker side with a particularly thick white fullerpast-style undercoat. I think they make it so the undercoat and colourcoat don't adhere particularly well on purpose to make it easier to relic after it cures. But it's a different than the Fender Road Worn type finish (if that's important to you).

I've done a couple partscasters and they've turned out, but you have to understand you're taking a risk. Sometimes the particular components just aren't going to come together in a good way and you're going to end up with a dud. I think of it like how you can play multiple examples of the same model of a guitar in a shop and one will sound great and another will sound terrible. There's just no getting around that risk. At the same time, since you're in control you can always swap parts out to bring it more in line with what you want. It's just that it takes time and gets really expensive. IME you don't save money with a partscaster. I guess that's the one thing I wish somebody would have
emphasized to me. Then again, you're doing the relic thing, so maybe it is a money-saver if you're comparing it to a Fender CS.

I think your biggest obstacle is getting your neck finished in a relic-appropriate way. You can't Tru-Oil yourself to that kind of result. Relic style necks pretty much have to be finished with lacquer. But you can have a neck from Musikraft (or Warmoth, I think) drop-shipped to MJT and they will finish the neck along with the body. I know that MJT
recently bought USAGC as well, so eventually they will be building necks themselves. I can't speak to the quality of their relic work because I've never done the relic thing, but there are a lot of pictures on their website which I would hope are basically representative. Your comment suggests a certain amount of skepticism, though, and that's probably wise. I'd imagine any company that's expanded as much as MJT has in the last few years has its share of QC problems. I look at their bodies on eBay from time to time and it seems like there's a lot of variability there (some look decent some look awful)...and that kind of scares me.

The only other thought I have is I'd want to be damn sure I knew my own expectations. Relicing is so subjective. One man's great is another man's disaster. It would be so easy to be disappointed. I think that's the reason Danocaster and the CS makes their money: it's practically the only way you can buy a custom relic guitar and know you're going to get what you want.

Sorry for writing a book. Hope you get the guitar you're jonesing for and you post a pic or two when you do.

LaceSensor

hey

appreciate the book

I actually quite like the fender roadworn vibe, but I beleive its not exactly correct looks-wise as its a matt finish, and nitro lacquer on real old guitars isnt matt, although it can dull over time.

It all comes down to whether I can get the body for a reasonable price. Thanks for the notes on their process. Im sure as with everything there are duds.
I remember from the EVH signature guitars when they first launched I think Peavey made them, and the necks had an oil finish that got grubby really fast. The feel was nice but some people didnt like their "new" guitar to look so worn very rapidly, hence me thinking oil might be an option.

For the most part it will be for the amusement of doing the project, rather than hoping to have a guitar that rivals a $4k CS/Dano really.

simon

My main guitar for the past 8 years has been an mjt double bound tele.  I don't foresee myself ever parting with it. 

I bought mine from there eBay store as a body, neck, and hardware combo.  It was one of there no reserve bids so I saw what the body looked like before buying it.  The quality is good, though I have replaced most of the pieces on it.  But that wasn't due to quality as much as preference.  I switched out the neck, which was originally an all parts neck, for a warmoth one.  I found the original was to small for my liking in neck contour and nut width.  And I switched out the bridge and saddles for a compensated one.  So now I have a neck I prefer and a guitar that intonates better.  But since your not looking at a tele the intonation shouldn't be an issue. 

The stratosphere sells fender parts so you can pick and choose what you want.  I think they just buy guitars and sell them as parts.  Crazy parts is in Germany and they sell hardware. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madbean

Maybe check out the kits over at Crimson Guitars, who are in the UK, if you want to do all the finish yourself.
BigD guitars has tons of good videos on YouTube using leather dye as a color finish. I actually have a few of the Angelus dyes he uses and they are really pretty cool.

davent

Quote from: madbean on July 04, 2020, 06:20:10 PM
Maybe check out the kits over at Crimson Guitars, who are in the UK, if you want to do all the finish yourself.
BigD guitars has tons of good videos on YouTube using leather dye as a color finish. I actually have a few of the Angelus dyes he uses and they are really pretty cool.

Crimson Guitars is sponsoring a charity build off of their kits by a number of popular youtube luthiers including BigD.

https://www.greatguitarbuildoff.com/
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

LaceSensor

Quote from: simon on July 04, 2020, 05:10:35 PM
My main guitar for the past 8 years has been an mjt double bound tele.  I don't foresee myself ever parting with it. 

I bought mine from there eBay store as a body, neck, and hardware combo.  It was one of there no reserve bids so I saw what the body looked like before buying it.  The quality is good, though I have replaced most of the pieces on it.  But that wasn't due to quality as much as preference.  I switched out the neck, which was originally an all parts neck, for a warmoth one.  I found the original was to small for my liking in neck contour and nut width.  And I switched out the bridge and saddles for a compensated one.  So now I have a neck I prefer and a guitar that intimates better.  But since your not looking at a tele the intonation shouldn't be an issue. 

The stratosphere sells fender parts so you can pick and choose what you want.  I think they just buy guitars and sell them as parts.  Crazy parts is in Germany and they sell hardware. 

thankyou for sharing your experience!

LaceSensor

Quote from: madbean on July 04, 2020, 06:20:10 PM

Hi

I dont think I want to do the finish myself, actually. Sorry if that wasnt clear. I dont imagine I have the skills to do a relic nitro finish.
Also the crimson kits are really quite expensive I feel, and they only do one neck profile, so sadly I dont think thats an option.

cheers

Ian

aion

I had a good experience with Guitar Mill in the USA. Production time is waaaay longer than quoted, but they do a killer job. Relic nitro is their specialty, although I ordered an un-reliced one so I can't comment firsthand. Not sure if they ship to the UK but worth a look.

playpunk

I have put together several partscasters.

This one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2uFLLhnzlT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Is a MJT body and Best Guitar Parts / Sound Guitar Works roasted maple neck. It is pretty awesome, and I play it live quite a bit. It has lambertone crema pickups in it, and it is great for the music I play live (p&w). The build was relatively painless, but I have spent a lot of time getting the setup right. I had to learn how to make a guitar nut, and I've acquired a bunch of tools to make my setups very consistent, along with fretwork and nut tools.

The second parts guitar I built is this one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0d5UNQH8R9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

It is a guitar mill body and a USACG (RIP) roasted maple neck. It is also a very good guitar. It has the same pickups as the blue guitar but it sounds different (IMO). I love the mastery bridge, but I kinda wish that I'd sprung for the Duesenberg trem, but it wasn't available when I was building the guitar. This one I painted myself with paint from Roth Metal Flake.

I really like both of the bodies I have. They're both light and came together nicely. I had to get a custom guard for the MJT body, and also had to be pretty fussy about the bridge and wound up getting a great one from Armadillo Guitar parts. The Guitar Mill body I had to route the neck pocket portion of the pickguard to fit the body, but other than that it fit well, and was a $12 reverb guard, origin unknown.

You will have to screw around with the stuff to get it to fit, unless you get all of your parts from one supplier. It's also important to read all the documentation for the different parts, and make sure the fit works for each part separately, then all together.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

alanp

I'd strongly suggest buying all the parts from a luthier you know. Then you can both go to him for tips, and ask him to make sure that things roughly fit. I got my Cabronita parts from a NZ luthier :) well, except for the pickup, I got that direct from TV Jones.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

I've done a number of Partscaster Tele's and Strats. It's the only thing I'd do these days, as it has yielded better instruments at a lower price that are to my specific choices and configurations.

Best parts I've gotten have all come from Warmoth. You can get them elsewhere, with varying results, but I've been super happy with the parts I've gotten that originate with them.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jjjimi84

I have done three parts guitars and have gotten everything from Warmoth and I agree with Jacob that they do incredible work.

I really like the neck profiles that they offer and the roasted maple neck unfinished is so nice to play. If I was to make another strat it would be using super light swamp ash or alder and then finish it myself and use a roasted maple neck.

I have never tried intentionally tried relicing a guitar, that usually happens by ignorance on my behalf. I have a firm belief if I look at my prs the wrong way, more finish is coming off.

LaceSensor

Hi everyone thanks for your input here

I have taken the plunge!

Perhaps I should document some of my work in this thread.
I bought a 2 piece alder strat body, centre join. 4.2lb / 1.85kg. Finished in a matt/satin nitro.
I have also got a bunch of stuff from Stratosphere, principally a rosewood board 10'' radius Allparts Japan neck which has a light relic matt lacquer finish. Really like it! the vibe is perfect for what I am hoping to do. The only real compromise was the vintage tall frets but I will hopefully get acustomed to them

Hardware wise I got a steel block vintage trem (6 point, bent saddled type), and some reliced vintage tuning machines. Neck plate, input jack are gotoh pre-aged also.
I kinda watched a load of videos about ageing hardware and it put me off, and to buy the relic'd nickel pieces already done was only a tiny uplift on a standard chrome or nickel piece.

I splashed out a bit on a real Fender gold anodize pickguard.

Electronics wise I ordered an american CRL 5 way switch, CTS pots and cloth wiring.
Pickups I really debated and in the end went for a set of scatterwound Red & Whites from A.Pribora. Rave reviews, and for the money it was a no brainer to try them out.

Will update with some pics!

simon

Sounds awesome! I look forward to seeing how it turns out