News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Blueshift DC2 Clone

Started by danfrank, August 03, 2020, 12:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

Here's another build... I love BBD stuff! On this one I used the Cool Audio V3207s and 3102s. I was reluctant to use them as the V3205s had a lot of bad reports over sound quality. These 3207 are good though, they sound fine to me, and I love the price!
Hardest part of this build was getting the right order of assembly to put it together. I had to use extra long header pins on this because I didn't use the recommended 1uf caps. To compensate, I just lowered the nuts on the switch bushings.
I also used a 750L08 LDO 8 volt regulator instead of the 7806 for an extra bit of headroom. I always have to complicate things... Lol!
I'm not the biggest fan of chorus but the stereo effect on this one is SO NICE! Really full sounding. I really like how there is no "swirly" sound on this chorus but it would have been nice if Boss used potentiometers for more effect control instead of preset switches. Either way it's a very nice sounding chorus.

aion

Nice improvising on the assembly, there's not much room to stray from the beaten path but you nailed it! Looks good!

jimilee

Nice. I love the layout, very neat and tidy looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Awesome, I bet it sounds great. I just ordered parts for mine as it's third in my build queue. How was the bias, did you use a scope or by ear and voltages?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

danfrank

I don't have access to a scope at the moment, so I did it by ear. Next time I have access to a scope, I'll tweak it again. There is a formula:           0.42+0.54X where X is the voltage going to pin 5 of the BBD. The result to the formula is the voltage that you should measure at pin 3 of the BBD, and I have found it to be right on. A pair of headphones are needed to bias by ear since there are 2 BBDs and even if one BBD is not biased correctly this pedal will still have a chorus effect. With headphones, one side chorusing sounds 2D but when both BBDs are on, the sound becomes very 3D like. Kind of hard to explain but headphones make the job easier. Easiest is to have a scope as you can dial it in exact with a scope. Hope this helps.