News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion solaris no charge pump

Started by Thewintersoldier, September 16, 2020, 04:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

I want to build the Aion solaris (newer version) with silicon npn transistors therefore I don't need the charge pump. Do I leave it out, omit c9-11 and just reverse diodes and electrolytic caps?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

mauman

Omit Z1, IC1, C9-10-11, jumper pins 5 & 8 on the IC socket to provide +9 on the -VA bus, reverse C5 and C6.  There was a note on the old 1590B version about this, but wasn't included on this version.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: mauman on September 16, 2020, 09:26:56 PM
Omit Z1, IC1, C9-10-11, jumper pins 5 & 8 on the IC socket to provide +9 on the -VA bus, reverse C5 and C6.  There was a note on the old 1590B version about this, but wasn't included on this version.
Thanks, totally glazed over jumpering the pins on the IC, how else is power suposed to get the the circuit haha

Who the hell is Bucky?

aion

Yep! I'm going to have an NPN version soon that essentially just does this exactly, but I split it into a separate board to make it more straightforward - so that's why the newer Solaris docs don't talk about using NPN. I just need to set aside some time to build the prototype.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: aion on September 18, 2020, 06:13:49 AM

Yep! I'm going to have an NPN version soon that essentially just does this exactly, but I split it into a separate board to make it more straightforward - so that's why the newer Solaris docs don't talk about using NPN. I just need to set aside some time to build the prototype.
Thanks Kevin, it's easy enough to do the jumper. I wanted to do a Si fuzz face and I said to myself why not build the ultimate Si fuzz face and this fits the bill. I have some nos bc183s I'm gonna put in there.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Thewintersoldier

Ok, so I have another question for you guys. I built the solaris and ommitted the transformer per the build docs and the charge pump as per above post. I used the bc183s and got a strange static when notes decay. It's on my test rig right now and I've read people having interference when not boxed up. I tried putting some bc108s in and same thing...but if I touch the tops of both metal cans the sound gets normal and it plays like it should. Is this a grounding thing? Interference cause it's out of the enclosure. Would like to get it figured out before I box it. Any ideas?
Who the hell is Bucky?

mauman

I've built the old layout multiple times with both NPN and PNP and haven't run into that.  Some fuzz designs have a small cap between collector and base of Q1 or Q2 (10pF to 1nF) to kill AM radio interference if you think it might be that.  If touching the cans fixes it, sure sounds like outside interference. 

Thewintersoldier

I tried a 47pf cap from Q1-Q2 but didnt fix it. I usually dont drill the enclosure till the circuit is tested and I just wonder if boxing it up and getting it off the test rig will get rid off the static/noise.
Who the hell is Bucky?

aion

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on December 03, 2020, 03:44:10 PM
I tried a 47pf cap from Q1-Q2 but didnt fix it. I usually dont drill the enclosure till the circuit is tested and I just wonder if boxing it up and getting it off the test rig will get rid off the static/noise.

Most likely, yeah. I don't worry about anything noise-related until it's fully boxed up and wired. Outside the enclosure you're mainly looking for major stuff that may be wrong.

Thewintersoldier

I wanna thank everyone who contributed to this thread, turns out nothing was wrong, just needed to be boxed up. The interference went away once it was off the test rig and wired up legit. Thanks guys, build report posted.

Who the hell is Bucky?