News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Favorite pedal brand

Started by Thewintersoldier, September 24, 2020, 11:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

So now that I'm nearing my 100th pedal build I'm reflecting on the pedals I've built and looking at my favorite builds by different qualifiers. I start to notice a trend. I used to think I liked boss and mxr stuff the best. Turns out it was EHX. Between dirt, modulation, delay and filters I like them the best. Of my builds they are the ones that stay on my board the most. I try to mix it up but more often then not my classic ehx builds are the ones that deliver.
   To me they are more inspiring. Boss and mxr and some other big names often play it safe. More tame in range of sounds, they are like Ice Man. I can see why they are popular with the masses. Ehx gives me more depth and a wider palette of tones, they are more extreme and unpredictable, they are like Maverick. I feel like I can explore more sounds and am constantly rewarded. I can get the run of the mill tones but also the off the wall stuff.
   What is your favorite brand(s)?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

Afonso

I have to say I agree with you on this. I have always preferred EHX over other brands, and I have a few original units.
They all sound awesome!
Letting the magic smoke out ever since I recall.

Scruffie

Works at Lectric-FX

matmosphere

I don't know, Boss makes some good delays and reverbs, ehx does a lot of good stuff. I don't think I could pick just one.

Mid-Fi electronics might be it if I had to choose just one. Between the clarinot, the random number generator and a few others you have some great unusual sounds, and the Demo Tape Fuzz is just amazing.

jimilee

I gravitate towards EHX and Ross. I really dig OTA phasers. Madbean's original stuff is fantastic. Rej had some great diet and fuzz stuff. I think I just like pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Afonso on September 24, 2020, 01:46:23 PM
I have to say I agree with you on this. I have always preferred EHX over other brands, and I have a few original units.
They all sound awesome!
This is awesome

Who the hell is Bucky?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Scruffie on September 24, 2020, 01:51:06 PM
8)
I got some cool ehx stuff from you guys in the oven right now, bout to be serving up some "brownies" soon!

Who the hell is Bucky?

Scruffie

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on September 24, 2020, 03:18:17 PM
8)
I got some cool ehx stuff from you guys in the oven right now, bout to be serving up some "brownies" soon!

Brownies!?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your description, I've always found the EHX stuff to be the most inspiring in its palettes. I get the BOSS/Ibanez/MXR stuff... but it can be a bit... utilitarian.

Mu-tron, A/DA and to a lesser extent, DOD are brands that trod a similar path.
Works at Lectric-FX

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Scruffie on September 24, 2020, 03:43:32 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on September 24, 2020, 03:18:17 PM
8)

Brownies!?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your description, I've always found the EHX stuff to be the most inspiring in its palettes. I get the BOSS/Ibanez/MXR stuff... but it can be a bit... utilitarian.

Mu-tron, A/DA and to a lesser extent, DOD are brands that trod a similar path.
Yeah, Brownies!
Most companies go for mass appeal and a range that caters to the masses main stream sensibilities. I like how ehx is like hifi garbage. I like that you can get the cabbage patch kids tones of boss, but also the garbage pale kids tones as well lol

Who the hell is Bucky?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on September 24, 2020, 02:46:12 PM
I gravitate towards EHX and Ross. I really dig OTA phasers. Madbean's original stuff is fantastic. Rej had some great diet and fuzz stuff. I think I just like pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree with you on ota phasers Jimi. I used to be all about the jfet style like  the phase 90 and 45 but once I played my friends small stone in the early 90s it was a revelation. So organic and chewy, more range of speed and dimension.

Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

TC Electronic for delays (Nova).
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

rockola

Lovetone, or Parasit Studio. None of that bread & butter stuff for me, please. I will have some cheese with my meatballs though, thank you.

TFZ

I have a couple of old Boss and EHX pedals, plus some more modern crap, other than that everything I have and use is DIY. Boss to me is the pedal archetype, the compact boxes, the consistent look in all the different colours, I really like them. The vintage EHX stuff I have in comparison oozes cheap to me, I'm not really too fond of them. The mechanics, the look, the thin sheet metal boxes, I've just never really been a fan.

The only pedals I would ever see myself buying if they were available is Lovetone. The creativity and plethora of sounds out of analog pedals they achieved is unrivalled to me. Plus again, nice consistent boxes in pretty colours. Seems to be something I value  :D.

From the stuff I actually play, I couldn't really make out a favourite brand. It is a fairly mixed affair with all sorts of stuff including DIY circuits, no brand really standing out. Closest to my heart really are the Lovetones I've built, even though I don't use them all that often.

matmosphere

Still don't think I could pick one company. There are so many great companies. But reading this over again I'm struck by the fact that I think of vintage EhX and the modern stuff as being from two different companies. So when everyone is saying EHX I'm wondering which one.

Am I the only one that thinks of them that way?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Matmosphere on September 25, 2020, 02:18:38 AM
Still don't think I could pick one company. There are so many great companies. But reading this over again I'm struck by the fact that I think of vintage EhX and the modern stuff as being from two different companies. So when everyone is saying EHX I'm wondering which one.

Am I the only one that thinks of them that way?
I like vintage ehx. Besides the POG most of their new stuff is not that great to me. I know that the vintage stuff was all over the place in terms of quality and reliability but the sound is what gets me. That's why I love building their stuff, I can get all those great tones but with modern reliability.
Who the hell is Bucky?