News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cab Driver and Aurora Overdrive

Started by cooder, September 27, 2020, 11:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Cab Driver is a simplified version of DSM OmniCabSim (no headphone out, XLR out, direct out or so) built after pedalpcb schematic.
Quite like the graphics on this one. Nice versatile sounds out of it, still have to try it for recording but first impression is great and useful tone tweaker tool.

Aurora Drive is Greer Lightspeed OD, very nice sounding and doesn't mess with the guitar sound, like it. Enclosure is recycled and has some holes filled, hence the black spray paint. Like the black though anyway.

BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

Looks great! Just cranking them out!

The DSM with a good amp in a box pedal like the PAL 800 is an amazing little rig. It is helping me part ways with my Fractal AX8.

cooder

Quote from: jjjimi84 on September 28, 2020, 12:19:52 AM

The DSM with a good amp in a box pedal like the PAL 800 is an amazing little rig. It is helping me part ways with my Fractal AX8.
That sounds like a good endorsement for the DSM... so you find it equal or better cab sim than the Fractal? I have not had a chance to try something like the Fractal and won't be going there anyway I guess, just curious what you think.
BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

Quote from: cooder on September 28, 2020, 06:29:17 PM
Quote from: jjjimi84 on September 28, 2020, 12:19:52 AM

That sounds like a good endorsement for the DSM... so you find it equal or better cab sim than the Fractal? I have not had a chance to try something like the Fractal and won't be going there anyway I guess, just curious what you think.

The fractal is amazing, hands down one of the coolest pieces of gear I own but I have two problems with it. One, I always end up turning knobs and fucking around and trying different cabinets instead of practicing and two, after fidding around for however long I end up going back to the same preset I made when I first got it which is a 18 watt into a 2x12.

Which made me really only ever use it to track ideas and scratch guitar parts for what would become guitar parts recorded with real amps and pedals and mics and preamps and compressors. Ultimately my whole goal is to do demos of the stuff I build and I found the fractal takes me away from that. Now with the DSM and a good preamp pedal I find I get a great basic sound for practicing and recording and I dont futz around too much.

cooder

Makes complete sense, Dan! Thanks for sharing your experience!
BigNoise Amplification