News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Klon into a Blues Breaker...?

Started by mjg, November 06, 2020, 11:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

I'm currently working on a dual pedal enclosure, and thought I'd do a Klon into a Blues Breaker, as I haven't built either before.

I've got everything on breadboard, and the two pedals sound fine when used by themselves.  But if I run the Klon into the Blues Breaker, there is so much oscillation noise that I've got dolphins knocking on the front door, and that's with me living about 300km from the ocean. 

So anyway, this combination should work shouldn't it?  Thought I'd ask before I spend hours debugging the breadboard.  First thing I want to try is modifying the gain section of the Blue Breaker to be more low gain, or maybe an audio probe to just confirm where the oscillation is coming from.

And of course, the breadboard looks a complete hot mess, so that's likely to be causing all sorts of noise that will go away once it's on a PCB:

mauman

I've built this combo in both directions, and you shouldn't get oscillation even at max gain on both. Audio feedback from speaker to guitar pickups for sure, but not oscillation.  Maybe try an audio probe to walk thru it and detect where the oscillation starts?  One thing I've found is IC1 in the Klon (input buffer and gain stage) has to be a TL072, there's too much load capacitance for other op amp types to drive and they will oscillate.  I use NE5532 for IC2 with no problem. Bluesbreaker is tolerant of most any op amp type.

Invertiguy

^Like he said, you really shouldn't have an issue just from running those two circuits together. I'd put my money on it being breadboard noise, even well-behaved circuits can get noisy and oscillation-prone when you throw all those jumper wires into the mix and the more gain you have the worse it gets.
Doomsday Devices

jalmonsalmon

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

mjg

Cool, thanks all.  I will keep prodding things then.  Just wanted to make sure this had some hope of working.   :D

pickdropper

Yeah, just to echo what others have said, it can work.  I just built a Breaker/Breaker/Klon in a single enclosure and it all works fine.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper