News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gloss AND matte finish??

Started by TheDude, February 06, 2021, 02:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDude

I've been thinking for sometime about finishing a pedal with a matte finish, but a glossy design on it. Has anyone had any success doing something like this?

Particularly I'm looking to put a glossy black on top of a matte black, something where the graphic doesn't necessarily look too visible in certain lighting. The only thing I can think of right now is to hand paint with my glossy Testors model paint on a matte enclosure. Only issue there is the paint won't be clear coated for protection as any spray clear will turn everything matte or glossy depending on that clear coat.

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The dude abides

jimilee

Sounds awesome. As soon as I read glossy on matte, I thought black. I guess, let it dry teal good and try not to scuff it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

You could maybe mask the design or create a stencil with frisket film or liquid frisket when switching between a matte clearcoat and glossy clearcoat.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

TheDude

Quote from: jimilee on February 06, 2021, 04:04:17 PM
Sounds awesome. As soon as I read glossy on matte, I thought black. I guess, let it dry teal good and try not to scuff it.

That's kinda where I'm leaning. In a perfect world there'd be a spray on finish that would let the paint's own finish through, like an invisible hardener. But I think 2020 taught us how far we are from perfect..

Quote from: davent on February 06, 2021, 05:15:17 PM
You could maybe mask the design or create a stencil with frisket film or liquid frisket when switching between a matte clearcoat and glossy clearcoat.

dave

I'd not heard of frisket before, definitely might be something to practice with and see what I can do. My past experience tells me getting fancy like that will take plenty of practice before it looks halfway decent haha.

The dude abides

jjjimi84

I do it a lot with testors paint and like you said as long as I do not put a clear coat it looks really cool. The instant I hit an enclosure with epoxy pour all of my detail work and contrasting shades and matte/gloss goes out the window.

mjg

Maybe a dumb idea for this application, but toothpaste works really well as a mask when spray painting.  Let it semi dry, spray your next colour, then a few hours later rub off the toothpaste with some water. 

Obviously you will want to test this first before putting it on anything expensive.  But I've used the technique for doing painting on props where you want bits of colour to show through from underneath other colours.

TheDude

Quote from: jjjimi84 on February 09, 2021, 04:22:30 AM
I do it a lot with testors paint and like you said as long as I do not put a clear coat it looks really cool. The instant I hit an enclosure with epoxy pour all of my detail work and contrasting shades and matte/gloss goes out the window.
Its always such a let down when you lose that contrast. I guess I probably shouldn't worry too much since it's highly unlikely any of my pedals will see life as a piece of gigging equipment.

The dude abides

TheDude

Quote from: mjg on February 09, 2021, 06:04:18 AM
Maybe a dumb idea for this application, but toothpaste works really well as a mask when spray painting.  Let it semi dry, spray your next colour, then a few hours later rub off the toothpaste with some water. 

Obviously you will want to test this first before putting it on anything expensive.  But I've used the technique for doing painting on props where you want bits of colour to show through from underneath other colours.

Oooh, this is intriguing, and cheap! Will my flouride free toothpaste work? Lol.

Definitely going to be trying this one out sometime along with the frisket.

The dude abides