News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

greenbean2019 build - resistor issue

Started by redkurn, February 13, 2021, 01:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redkurn

So I ordered a 10M ohm from small-bear and on my Klein MM700 it's reading at around 6.5M ohm.
Resistor is supposed to be a 1%, but the reading is showing it far far under that spec, use or contact small-bear over it?

I've already soldered it in, but having second thoughts while I wait on the rest of the parts to arrive from tayda that small-bear didn't have or were out of.

danfrank

I don't see a 10M resistor on the GB2019 schematic. Are you referring to the 1M resistor at the input?

madbean

Yeah there is no 10M resistor on the GB. In what spot did you install it? Also, if you are measuring it in circuit that's probably why you got a low reading.

redkurn

Quote from: madbean on February 13, 2021, 04:59:47 AM
Yeah there is no 10M resistor on the GB. In what spot did you install it? Also, if you are measuring it in circuit that's probably why you got a low reading.
Quote from: danfrank on February 13, 2021, 03:39:24 AM
I don't see a 10M resistor on the GB2019 schematic. Are you referring to the 1M resistor at the input?

Sorry, was building the greenbean and had a brain fart.
They 10M was for VFE Triumvirate, it's not soldered in and was tested twice alone.
Close to the resistor reads about 6.5M.
I was wondering if this is normal or I caught a bad one before it destroyed my diodes. since I'm a diode destroyer 😂

madbean

That's the standard pulldown resistor for all the VFE builds. I wouldn't worry about the low reading in that case. 6M is plenty overkill for a pulldown anyway.
Does the resistor show the correct color code for 10M? Wonder if they just accidentally sent the wrong value.

davent

Don't know what the meter is but could it be an issue with the meter, does it measure other known high value resistors correctly?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

redkurn

Quote from: madbean on February 13, 2021, 08:47:21 AM
That's the standard pulldown resistor for all the VFE builds. I wouldn't worry about the low reading in that case. 6M is plenty overkill for a pulldown anyway.
Does the resistor show the correct color code for 10M? Wonder if they just accidentally sent the wrong value.

Then I won't stress over it, I'm still very new and appreciate your work and help, I can solder like a champ since I've always done repairs, but learning about the components finally. 😂

Quote from: davent on February 13, 2021, 09:08:07 AM
Don't know what the meter is but could it be an issue with the meter, does it measure other known high value resistors correctly?
dave

My MM reads up to 40M and has read a 2.2M and 1M accurately.
It's pretty sweet for sub $100 and is made for professionals, it's all my electrician brother would ever use.
It's no fluke, but I'd say it's on par as far as use goes and it's true RMS so I can get forward voltage readings.

redkurn

Quote from: madbean on February 13, 2021, 08:47:21 AM

Would it be possible to get the madbean bean in psd?
I want to put it on my greenbean. ;D