News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

#VFEFRIDAY Triumvirate

Started by jjjimi84, February 26, 2021, 11:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

Here is my least favorite of all of the VFE pedals I own, the Triumvirate. Admittedly I have never taken the time to tweak it and try to get it dialed in, I built it and plugged it in and unplugged it and put it on the shelf. If anyone has any tips I am all ears. Plus side it has Iggy Koopa painted on it and is the second of my series of Koopling VFEs.

jimilee

It looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

That's a lot of trimmers. I don't blame you for not messing around with it!

jimilee

Quote from: harryklippton on February 26, 2021, 12:28:17 PM
That's a lot of trimmers. I don't blame you for not messing around with it!
You're not even kidding. I didn't notice those before.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

I think the basic idea was that this is a mini RUP with some of the small knobs as trimmers.

If you go to the "How it works" section of the VFE RUP page, and click on the bass/mid/treble filters section, you get a nice animated visual of how the trimmers would effect the signal.

Edit: oh, and I believe the RUP had dual gang pots where the Trium has two trimmers, so I think just keep the pairs of trimmers in the same positions and you should be ok

Edit2: I added a color coded pic that show the pairs that you can treat as dual gang pots

http://vfepedals.com/rup.html

jimilee

Ah yeah, see, now, I want one of those.

Aentons

Quote from: jimilee on February 26, 2021, 03:05:55 PM
The RUP turned into the Klein Bottle so you almost already do. :)  The KB has the HPF and LPF on each band. Stick a pair of diodes in the effects loop and ur good 2 go

jimilee

Quote from: Aentons on February 26, 2021, 03:20:04 PM
The RUP turned into the Klein Bottle so you almost already do. :)  The KB has the HPF and LPF on each band. Stick a pair of diodes in the effects loop and ur good 2 go

Probably be able to get the same effects running it into one channel and other effects into both channels. This is a very interesting drive.

dawson

Ah gee, that portly electrolytic cap' is a master contortionist- really nice assembly & awesome painting.  I always like your little details like the paint on the LED here.
The effect itself, however, is fairly terrifying to me.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jjjimi84

Quote from: Aentons on February 26, 2021, 03:20:04 PM

Thanks for breaking this down, I love the klein bottle and can wrap my head around it. For some reason this pedal just sounds off to me.

Quote from: dawson on February 26, 2021, 07:26:05 PM
Ah gee, that portly electrolytic cap' is a master contortionist- really nice assembly & awesome painting.  I always like your little details like the paint on the LED here.
The effect itself, however, is fairly terrifying to me.

Thank you very much, that cap bend was a very time consuming aspect of this build.

destro

IggY!! My son and I dig it! I built a triumvirate but for bass and got some help from Aentons notes in other posts. It turned out pretty good. The only VFE board that I have built that did not sound right at all was the Wooly Bear, based on the foxx tone machine. Just couldn't bond with it.

Thewintersoldier

This is awesome Dan. I have never played a vfe, and all your builds make me wanna find one to do.
Who the hell is Bucky?

redkurn

My 16mm knobs do not align with the drill guide, did you have this issue and how did you correct if you did?
I was thinking bend the legs a little like I had to on the GreenBean2019.

jjjimi84

Quote from: destro on February 27, 2021, 03:58:52 PM
IggY!! My son and I dig it! I built a triumvirate but for bass and got some help from Aentons notes in other posts. It turned out pretty good. The only VFE board that I have built that did not sound right at all was the Wooly Bear, based on the foxx tone machine. Just couldn't bond with it.

I am glad he likes it! This Friday will be Roy on the Mobius delay.

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on February 28, 2021, 03:18:43 PM
This is awesome Dan. I have never played a vfe, and all your builds make me wanna find one to do.

I highly recommend the pale horse and alpha dog.

Quote from: redkurn on March 01, 2021, 11:40:37 PM
My 16mm knobs do not align with the drill guide, did you have this issue and how did you correct if you did?

My first vfe builds I did have an issue, i printed the drill guide at 90% on my printer and everything was wonky and had to be bent to fit. Once I printed the drill guide at 100% i didnt have any issues. One thing to note is I always use a center punch then drill with a 3/32 bit for pilot holes, once those are all done I use a step bit to get my holes to the right size. I almost always over drill by one step to make things fit easier, for instance with my step bit the seventh step is for pots, I always go down to eight. The washer covers up any holes and it makes positioning a lot easier.

redkurn

Quote from: jjjimi84 on March 02, 2021, 03:17:00 AM
Quote from: redkurn on March 01, 2021, 11:40:37 PM

My first vfe builds I did have an issue, i printed the drill guide at 90% on my printer and everything was wonky and had to be bent to fit. Once I printed the drill guide at 100% i didnt have any issues. One thing to note is I always use a center punch then drill with a 3/32 bit for pilot holes, once those are all done I use a step bit to get my holes to the right size. I almost always over drill by one step to make things fit easier, for instance with my step bit the seventh step is for pots, I always go down to eight. The washer covers up any holes and it makes positioning a lot easier.

I'm using the same method, 100% no scaling, center punch.
I broke the legs on one pot and should have just made the holes a little oversize.
Lesson learned to do what I'm thinking and others say is best.