News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Repair of Alchemy modded Cry Baby

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, March 02, 2021, 05:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Friend of mine gave me a Cry Baby that he sent in for mod by Alchemy. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the "mod" was just a drop-in BYOC wah kit  :o

Anyways, something I noticed with the design of the PCB that threw me for a loop.......

The battery bypass is different than any I have seen before. Instead of wiring the Battery GND to the Input jack Ring and having the In/Out jack sleeves and PCB GND directly connected to the DC jack GND, they configured the PCB to have the Battery GND go directly to the DC jack GND and to the Input jack Ring. So... instead of having the PCB GND and In/Out jack GND always tied to the DC jack GND, you have to insert the Input jack to complete the connection between the Input jack Sleeve and Ring to get GND to the circuit. 

Wondering if this is a good setup for power switching  ???

thesmokingman

I used to ... then I got tired of buying stereo jacks and battery snaps
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jimilee

Quote from: thesmokingman on March 02, 2021, 05:01:58 PM
I used to ... then I got tired of buying stereo jacks and battery snaps
Same. I can't believe, maybe?, their mod is a BYOC board. I bet Keith would be mine too happy to hear that, maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

skyled

I had bought a used broken wah that had been modded by Alchemy (for $10). It turned out that the pcb-mount input and output jacks were so stressed in the shell that the solder joints were all broken on both jacks. I filed down the plastic on the jacks so they fit without stress and reflowed the solder and it worked perfectly.

Then I ripped all of the parts out and turned it into a Tycobrahe Parapedal wah ;D

jimilee

Quote from: skyled on March 02, 2021, 07:05:27 PM
I had bought a used broken wah that had been modded by Alchemy (for $10). It turned out that the pcb-mount input and output jacks were so stressed in the shell that the solder joints were all broken on both jacks. I filed down the plastic on the jacks so they fit without stress and reflowed the solder and it worked perfectly.

Then I ripped all of the parts out and turned it into a Tycobrahe Parapedal wah ;D
Bwahahahaha

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Govmnt_Lacky

I just found it interesting that they implemented the Grounding this way. Instead of tying the In/Out jack Sleeves and circuit Ground to the DC jack Ground, they make you have to insert a cord into the Input to get Ground to the PCB circuit. Weird.

jimilee

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 03, 2021, 07:20:37 AM
I just found it interesting that they implemented the Grounding this way. Instead of tying the In/Out jack Sleeves and circuit Ground to the DC jack Ground, they make you have to insert a cord into the Input to get Ground to the PCB circuit. Weird.
It is. After building my first pedal, took me forever to figure that out. I guess it keeps from running down the battery when not in use ina pedal chain type setting.