News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best way to delay a project

Started by Thewintersoldier, March 06, 2021, 08:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

So I had my enclosure all done with my no film waterslide decal applied beautifully I put it in the toaster oven to cure it for 30 mins on the lowest temperature. My six year old decided to help and put the temp on the highest setting. I think she thought it would speed it up...I'm not sure what she thought lol. I smelled something that had a burning stench and when I opened it, my light violet powder coated enclosure was now white and the toner and glue from the decal melted and burned. Hahahahaha nothing less helpful than your kid trying to be helpful. Dont have another enclosure that color so had to order one. Project delayed, again. What's your best mishap?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

harryklippton

I like to partially assemble a board, then put it in a box of other partially assembled boards, then leave them there for 9 months. Next step is pulling them out and finishing half a dozen projects all in one go, with 3-5 rounds of ordering miscellaneous parts that could have been one order if I had any forethought

alanp

I'm feeling brotherhood with Harry right now.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Quote from: harryklippton on March 06, 2021, 08:50:52 AM
I like to partially assemble a board, then put it in a box of other partially assembled boards, then leave them there for 9 months. Next step is pulling them out and finishing half a dozen projects all in one go, with 3-5 rounds of ordering miscellaneous parts that could have been one order if I had any forethought
This, only they end up all over my desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Same, only I use a bag

harryklippton

I guess we can't all be Chris or Dan with a build report every week

dawson

Good help can be hard to find.
Whenever I bring Mister Cat into the workroom to assist with quality control I usually end up having to chase him down to make sure he doesn't swallow any stray MLCC's or stripboard scraps..

Too bad you have to wait for another enclosure, but I'm sure Mister Cat and your daughter mean well.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: harryklippton on March 06, 2021, 02:34:17 PM
hey, I don't have one this week, so my next one will be jimilee style with 2 or maybe 3. I'm back on my bullshit and doing bigger builds right now, I'm currently working on a pedalpcb julia chorus, aion blueshift, and about to start a man o' war dlx. of course like you i'm waiting on parts to get here to finish them up.
Who the hell is Bucky?

matmosphere

Every week, I wish I could keep that pace. It's been to cold here for months to get anything done

Bio77

My almost done pile is getting stupid recently.  It started with being lazy with part ordering.  I'll look over a build doc and say, "oh yeah, I've got that" instead of checking, like I used to.  Then when I build, I missing something.

Also, my recent bad habit is grabbing parts from completed build to finish a new one.  I took a few soft touch set ups out a few builds because I needed the small 1776 foot print.  Now have an extra 2 in the almost done pile!

One good habit I have though, I don't put them in a box.  I keep then on my bench to nag me into fixing them  ;D

Invertiguy

I feel this. I tend to get the board populated and tested and then drag my feet forever when it comes to actually putting it into an enclosure. My poor Dead End FX Enigma build has been sitting in a box for almost 2 years now because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do for artwork. At least the enclosure is drilled and painted, I'm seriously thinking about just using paint markers despite my lack of artistic ability just to get the damn thing done!
Doomsday Devices

rockola

Quote from: Aentons on March 06, 2021, 01:53:23 PM
Same, only I use a bag
I use several shelves in the garage. The oldest unfinished project there turns 20 very soon.

jjjimi84

My biggest delay comes from painting, last year I caught up and painted everything and now I have five builds waiting for final artwork. Nothing is getting built until they are finished, thats what I tell myself.

jimilee

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 06, 2021, 04:51:05 PM
Quote from: harryklippton on March 06, 2021, 02:34:17 PM
hey, I don't have one this week, so my next one will be jimilee style with 2 or maybe 3. I'm back on my bullshit and doing bigger builds right now, I'm currently working on a pedalpcb julia chorus, aion blueshift, and about to start a man o' war dlx. of course like you i'm waiting on parts to get here to finish them up.
Heck yes. Build til you run out of parts and then work on something else until you run out of those parts. Order said parts and work on something else until the other parts get there. When the other parts get there, you've missed something, so you have to order something else along with the last build, so you work on something else until those parts get there. Finish three builds and start two more. That's my "workflow", always something going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

In 2016 packed away all my electronics 'stuff' to make room to do other projects. Unpacked some of it a year ago to work on hifi projects and i'm still at that stage of the electronics reprise. Haven't managed yet to make my way 'round to starting in on the backlog of unfinished pedal projects...

Life is the biggest impediment.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?