News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boss ph-1r

Started by Thewintersoldier, March 15, 2021, 08:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

I used to have a boss ph-1r a long time ago, and it was fantastic. How come no one has ever done a project for this, or perhaps the ph-2. What's up with that? What can we do about this? What say you phaser overlord?
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 15, 2021, 08:46:20 AM
I used to have a boss ph-1r a long time ago, and it was fantastic. How come no one has ever done a project for this, or perhaps the ph-2. What's up with that? What can we do about this? What say you phaser overlord?
My buddy has a silver screw ph-2, they're pretty founky. They have a few tricks I don't think I've ever seen on another phaser. I keep thinking I'll buy one, but I'm not a boss pedal fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

This is a new one to me, but I like what I see. It's pretty much a Phase 90 with a lot of improvements and more control.
You could even pimp it up further by adding fixed stages or a StompLFO chip.
Two more swept stages and you'd have a PS1-A on steroids.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jubal81 on March 15, 2021, 09:24:49 AM
This is a new one to me, but I like what I see. It's pretty much a Phase 90 with a lot of improvements and more control.
You could even pimp it up further by adding fixed stages or a StompLFO chip.
Two more swept stages and you'd have a PS1-A on steroids.
I wish I had more knowledge/knew how to do layouts for boards. maybe this would be a good project for someone with the know how to do a board. I would buy one for sure.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Aentons

Here is my black label (MIJ, ACA) PH-2. I don't excel at tracing but I'm always happy to help with pics or whatever

jimilee

That's a pretty interesting design. I've never seen a compander in a phaser.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

Quote from: jimilee on March 15, 2021, 03:39:35 PM

It's to try to keep the JFETs from clipping.

If you look at the schematic for the PH1-R, there's a divider going into the phase stages that cuts the input amplitude in half. Then there's a boost at the mixing stage. It's an effort to reduce distortion when running JFETs at 9V.

Speaking of which, getting back to then PS1-A on steroids idea, I'd also say add a charge pump for split-supply operation and you'd need a proper sine wave LFO.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jimilee

Quote from: jubal81 on March 15, 2021, 04:16:31 PM

It's to try to keep the JFETs from clipping.

If you look at the schematic for the PH1-R, there's a divider going into the phase stages that cuts the input amplitude in half. Then there's a boost at the mixing stage. It's an effort to reduce distortion when running JFETs at 9V.

Speaking of which, getting back to then PS1-A on steroids idea, I'd also say add a charge pump for split-supply operation and you'd need a proper sine wave LFO.
Now you're talking. I would play that.

Thewintersoldier

this needs to be a project one day
Who the hell is Bucky?

Aentons

The PH-2 has 10/12 stages and is a different beast from the PH-1r which I think is mostly a P90 like jubal said

jubal81

Quote from: Aentons on March 15, 2021, 01:54:59 PM
Here is my black label (MIJ, ACA) PH-2. I don't excel at tracing but I'm always happy to help with pics or whatever

Yeah, whole different ballgame there. Looked it up and it turns out those IR3109 chips are quad OTAs designed for filter sweeps and go for about $40 each if you can find them.

The Subdecay Quasar uses modern VCAs in a similar setup. It's a phaser I've seriously considered shelling out some money for.

- David Fair

rockola

PH-1 (not r) has been done: https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30116 - I have a half-done PCB in my "some day" pile