News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Road rage for dirtbag

Started by dwstanford, December 09, 2011, 05:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwstanford

I'm putting together the dirtbag and ive populated the road rage for operation at 15v for the 3005 version and when i test the output of the roadrage, i'm getting 18.5v on the 15+ pad and i'm getting 14.9v on the 18+ pad.  I'm using an L7815CV regulator.  Is this normal? And if so, should i connect the 18+ output to the dirtbag instead of the 15+? 

mysticwhiskey

Looking at the build document, it seems the 15V and 18V pads are labelled opposite to what they should be on the Roadrage double-sided board.  The single-sided board is correctly labelled though.

(Edit: first post here - hi everyone!)

madbean

F*#k. Absolutely right. The silk screen has them mislabeled. I will correct the documents immediately.

The 15v label is actually the 18v output and the 18v label is the regulator output (labeled 15v).

dwstanford

That makes me feel better.  I thought i was crazy.  Anyway, i went ahead and hooked up the dirtbag and its working great.  Ive got it biased pretty well but it may need a bit more tweeking.  It sounds INCREDIBLE!!!!  I cant fucking believe i built this thing.  The only issue i can tell im having so far is that there's a bit of whine when i turn the delay pot past 2:00.

madbean

Are you testing it on a breadboard? If so, it may go away after putting it in an enclosure and hooking it to a well regulated supply.

dwstanford

Yeah, i'm testing it on a breadboard.  I got wires and shit going everywhere.  I'm sure it'll sound better in the case.  Thanks for giving us such an excellent project, Brian.  It was the most fun i've had building pedals thus far.  I'm gonna have to try the 3205 version also.  I'll see what happens with the whine when i get it in the enclosure.  I think ive figured out how i'm gonna get it all into a 1590bb. (fingers crossed)  I ordered a 125bb just in case.  I'll post build pics when i get it completed.

Loztboy

dwstanford

The 7815ckc should work.  I used the L7815cv from tayda. 

dwstanford

I notices the whine goes away on the dirtbag when i touch the level pot so it should be fine when i get it in the enclosure.  I cant wait to get it finished.  After further measuring, i have decided to go with the 125bb cause the 1590bb was just a bit too small height wise for how i plan to mount it.  If i had mounted my resistors on the front side, i probably could have made it, but i would have had to go with smaller caps in some places.  It still would have been close.  Within a couple of milimeters.  I advise you to do alot of planning if you're putting this thing in a 1590bb with a road rage (3005 version).  The 3205 version should fit no problem.

Loztboy

One more question about the regulator :)
Is the regulator supposed to be mounted with a screw an nut? if so, why ? :)

Scruffie

Quote from: Loztboy on December 21, 2011, 04:39:26 AM
One more question about the regulator :)
Is the regulator supposed to be mounted with a screw an nut? if so, why ? :)
So you can attach a heatsync  ;)

If it doesn't get hot, don't worry about it, my A/DA Flanger isn't screwed down.
Works at Lectric-FX

Loztboy

Loztboy

Can I use a 7660SCPAZ on the RoadRage for the dirtbag with mn3005's?
I only have a 7660SCPAZ and MAX 1044CPA

plesur

For the Dirtbag I believe you need the LT1054 for the higher 100mA current output that it has. The other chips you mention don't have the same current output as that one, they give out only 10mA or so.

It's probably also a good idea to have a higher rated regulator than the smaller 100mA rated one.

Loztboy

ohh crap. I thought I was going to fire up this baby today.
Got to wait another week for the LT1054 then.
this regulator should be ok, right? http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php/info/p1094_7815CKC.html