News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Pedal board based on Eoo3

Started by gordo, April 09, 2021, 02:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Finally, I'm getting this beast wrapped up.  The Eoo3 has been finished for ages but I'd never built a board around it.  Wiring under the deck is a rats nest but once I get FX loop and amp switch cables in place I can tidy it up with a bit of velcro.

• Amp switching - in this case Boost and Lead channels on my 6505mh
  • FX loop Send and Return for the MM4, Delay, and Reverb.  Delay and Reverb have tails enabled
  • 60 banks of 7 presets, which is massive overkill for my needs but more=better.
  • Top is held closed by magnets.
  • Effects that don't need to be interacted with are under the deck, so no knobs getting bumped.
  • MIDI in and out (although not implemented here).
  • The pedals under the deck default to powered on.
  • Tuner is always live but buffered and system has a Mute switch.

This has been a long time coming and I'm pretty happy with it.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jjjimi84

That is slick as heck, what is under the board? It looks like a Haunting Mids and a compressor of some sort. How did you do the Black around the display?

harryklippton

Wow wow wow! I have no business making or using something like that but now I'm curious

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

PapaKev

If you're happy with it, I'm happy. Great job.

Thewintersoldier

Looks awesome, is it heavy? That's the only reason I haven't built something myself, I don't want it to be super heavy.
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

It's not TOO heavy considering the MM4 and Nova Delay are heavy enough that velcro won't work and I made up aluminum mounting bars.  The effects are Tuner and L6 wireless (not the one that bursts into flames) with the Nova and MM4 on the topside.  The little pedal beside the modeler is a switched expression pedal, which works really well for ramping Leslie sounds and doubling presets.

On the bottom is the Dunlop power supply, which I really like.  The Bajaman LA2A limiter from Etcher's Paradise.  The PedalPCB JHS Haunting Mids clone, although I use it mostly to thin out humbuckers.  An open spot for a guest pedal.  And finally the PedalPCB Deflector reverb, although it gets swapped out for either a Headtrip or Headtrip 2 depending on what I need.

The ability to go from clean with compressor to Lead channel with chorus and delay in the amp's loop, and back, just by tapping a switch is completely mind blowing.  Let alone that the tails of the delay are still going when you switch back.
Gordy Power

dawson

Nice unit!

I'm sure you can get some great-sounding permutations out of there
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

diablochris6

This turned out amazing! Looks slick!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

gordo

Follow up.  The board was an epic fail on Sunday, but totally my fault.  I had a few things configured wrong and didn't want to take it apart (the proverbial 10 lbs of s**t in a 5 lb box) when it wasn't on my bench.  Easy fix and look forward to the next time out.

It's VERY quiet and it's hard to get my head wrapped around the Boost channel and Lead channel on my amp being, essentially, "effects".

Minor issue is that the Tuner out/Mute doesn't go totally silent.  It's a deal breaker for using the Mute function but an easy workaround was the wireless system to the tuner and then tuner to the input.  That's how I've always muted anyway so no issue there, and it's still just hitting a button that has to remain visible anyway.
Gordy Power

cooder

Epic and very clever, Gordo! A lot of thinking and time in this and tons of options for sure!

I still think you need something wild that 'bursts into flames' I mean in a safe controlled pyrotechnical way on the side, by one of the switches, to end the show and set off the fire alarms and make it on the national news or something. The 'quirky ways to fame' buttom....
BigNoise Amplification

tcpoint

Looks great.  I need to make one.  Have you ever tried 3M dual lock instead of velcro?  That stuff will hold anything down.

gordo

The mm4 ends up pulling the Velcro (both sides) right off the board, so seems the weak link is getting the adhesive to stick. I tried stapling the board side and finally abandoned it and went with bike chain links and aluminum strips.
Gordy Power