News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tag team builds

Started by gordo, April 14, 2021, 09:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

Quote from: Bio77 on April 15, 2021, 07:53:55 PM
Very cool. 8)  The personal touch is awesome. Dan's the man.

Too kind. Way too kind. I am all about painting for forum members, spreading the love around like peanut butter.

gordo

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 15, 2021, 02:11:09 PM
That is awesome! it does beg the question; what are the other 2?

I won't let the next one out of the bag till it's finished but am very stoked.  One thing that they all have in common is that it's finishing techniques that I haven't explored or flat out suck at.  With Jimi's I had no idea you could spray sparkle paints, let alone get it from Home Depot.  I went thru an intense sparkle phase (no pun intended) after that and I'm sure my wife must have thought I was hanging out with strippers.

Hand painting is something I will never be good at and I'm willing to accept that.

This next one I bought in a package deal with the board and chips (Alan P, I think this is one of your boards) and an etched and painted enclosure done by Dminner.  If you look at the name of the pedal you can see that it has a typo.  In my mind that makes it even more valuable.  It's a clone of the ?Flanger.

It took me forever to finish this one as it was sufficiently difficult and a single sided etch with ALL offboard wiring.  I dragged my heels for years.  I think I justified that if it wasn't finished then technically it wasn't a fail.  To my surprise it fired right up.  I calibrated it and will never open it again.  I'd posted this before but I think back then it looked like I'd found the knobs at a garage sale.  This does it up with proper knobs.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: jjjimi84 on April 15, 2021, 10:55:25 PM

Too kind. Way too kind. I am all about painting for forum members, spreading the love around like peanut butter.

Sweet. I will have to commission something before you get famous and I can't afford it. I see you're all about some 80s  (early 90s) video games. Is that style kind of your thing? I gotta think of something that is fitting.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

Quote from: jimilee on April 16, 2021, 12:19:53 AM
Quote from: jjjimi84 on April 15, 2021, 10:55:25 PM

Sweet. I will have to commission something before you get famous and I can't afford it. I see you're all about some 80s  (early 90s) video games. Is that style kind of your thing? I gotta think of something that is fitting.

Get famous?!? I think fame is for tweens not middle aged dad rockers. I will paint anything, My som and I just like monsters and nintendo so thats what ends up on a lot of pedals.

DLW

Great pedal and better story!!

gordo

Slightly related to the Plantetary Aligner (and I'm hijacking my own thread here) is a guitar given to me by a gentleman by the name of Charlie Subecz.  Charlie was, at the time the president of Harmony Guitars before it's current inception.  This was a prototype based on a Gretsch Cats Eye and when I got it the only thing on it was the tuners and nut.  It had been drilled out for everything but never completed.  I was pretty thrilled to say the least and proceeded to finish it up with a real Bigsby and pickups and parts from GFS and Stew-Mac.  It plays and sounds wonderful although just the sheer size makes it similar to playing a sheet of plywood, and since the neck joins the body at the 14th fret you need hands like Bootsy Collins to get much over a high A.

It's a full hollow, with the exception of a block under the bridge.  Being a pinned bridge the tuning is fairly stable.  Bigsby's are a learning curve of their own.

Now here's the funny part (and what makes it super special for me)...check out the spelling on the peghead.  I'm thinking something got lost in the translation from English to Chinese and back again.

Too much fun.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

That looks great. Those tuners are neat. Hammony, no Rs in the alphabet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Quote from: gordo on April 16, 2021, 09:05:50 PM
Slightly related to the Plantetary Aligner (and I'm hijacking my own thread here) is a guitar given to me by a gentleman by the name of Charlie Subecz.  Charlie was, at the time the president of Harmony Guitars before it's current inception.  This was a prototype based on a Gretsch Cats Eye and when I got it the only thing on it was the tuners and nut.  It had been drilled out for everything but never completed.  I was pretty thrilled to say the least and proceeded to finish it up with a real Bigsby and pickups and parts from GFS and Stew-Mac.  It plays and sounds wonderful although just the sheer size makes it similar to playing a sheet of plywood, and since the neck joins the body at the 14th fret you need hands like Bootsy Collins to get much over a high A.

It's a full hollow, with the exception of a block under the bridge.  Being a pinned bridge the tuning is fairly stable.  Bigsby's are a learning curve of their own.

Now here's the funny part (and what makes it super special for me)...check out the spelling on the peghead.  I'm thinking something got lost in the translation from English to Chinese and back again.

Too much fun.

Haha, love it! Harmony has always been a pretty cool company, and I like that better than any Cat's Eye Gretsch I've seen, they are really nice guitars but that Hamony is a looker.