News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dan Boost

Started by Thewintersoldier, April 17, 2021, 09:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Flippin' awesomeness in every way, epic!
Whta beautiful versions inside out, just a pleasure and unique to the tilt!

Lovely guitar there too!
Thanks for posting it all! Yes we need a sound demo!
BigNoise Amplification

PapaKev

Quote from: jjjimi84 on April 17, 2021, 10:37:00 AM
Long story boring, about 5 years ago I bought a large bag of BC108 transistors and forgot about them in a toolbox and then moved. About 2 years ago I found them and started trying to figure out fun ways to utilize them and decided I wanted to build my dream boost pedal. My pedal board is really small and usually consists of a drive and a delay and that is what I noodle with, so I wanted the boost to be able to not change the character of the amp and to be able to clean up when I roll back the volume.

I grabbed the breadboard and schematics of a ton of boosts and start futzing around. I came up with a boost that lived on the bread board (and still does) that was played all of the time. The first one I built on vero and sent it to my brother who loves it but I hated all of the wires everywhere. The next one I wanted to try point to point, to try and use up parts from my amp builds. At this point I bought a bunch of stuff from stompboxparts and the GE version was made, this is the one Chris has and my SI version is here.

It is essentially a tweaked DAM Red Rooster IIRC, I have the schematic written somewhere if anybody wants it.

Love the texture and the graphic. Inside is so good it should be in a transparent case. Nice job.

harryklippton

ok, turns out my gibson isn't the same as Chris's but very close. Mine's a 2016 60s tribute T and mine is stock wiring and pickups. Sorry for the derail.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: harryklippton on April 18, 2021, 08:18:52 AM
ok, turns out my gibson isn't the same as Chris's but very close. Mine's a 2016 60s tribute T and mine is stock wiring and pickups. Sorry for the derail.

I almost got a dark back but I didn't like the hollowness of the weight relief. Dat orange tho! Heres what it can do to a tweed amp
Who the hell is Bucky?

harryklippton

jjjimi84

jimilee

That sounds fantastic. I really need one. Those P90s really put out some crunch.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Very noice and rippin'! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

Bret608

Yeah, that sounds fantastic! I was just about to ask for a clip, and here you go preemptively posting one. I love that guitar. Also, the booster is a beauty, so Dan if you have the schematic that would be great. I'd probably do a vero if I can find some time.

Aleph Null

That's some next level work! Almost seems a shame to screw the lid on.

Feral Feline

Love the P90s!

The P2P is beautiful, should be in clear epoxy "enclosure" to show it off!

If I tried that, it'd look like a scale model of a carnival roller-coaster — don't know how you got that so neat and straight and perfectly aligned...
wow, so beeyootyful , beeeeeyootee-full!

jjjimi84

I found the schematic written in my chicken scratch hand writing! I am going to write it pretty and detail some of the different versions and post a copy tomorrow. If people are interested I could do a little run of these pedals, they are really fun to build and paint. Ideally I would love to see all of us breadboard this little guy and start modding and make this into a forum boost type idea, I would love to get feedback on it and what to do to make it better.

harryklippton

Quote from: jjjimi84 on April 20, 2021, 01:44:53 PM
I found the schematic written in my chicken scratch hand writing! I am going to write it pretty and detail some of the different versions and post a copy tomorrow. If people are interested I could do a little run of these pedals, they are really fun to build and paint. Ideally I would love to see all of us breadboard this little guy and start modding and make this into a forum boost type idea, I would love to get feedback on it and what to do to make it better.

I'd like to play around with it on a breadboard. And if you make more, I'll buy one!

gordo

Damn fine demo.  Short and to the point.  Terrible Ted has been shooting himself in the foot lately but his licks stand for themselves.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

KMRO

Gorgeous build and a great video.  Sounds sick when you click it on.