News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dan Boost

Started by Thewintersoldier, April 17, 2021, 09:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Dan K. aka jjjimi84 is a really cool and talented guy. We all know and love his amp builds, demo videos and hand painted enclosures. He's a great inspiration to us here and a really helpful all round good dude. This is Dan's build and felt you guys should see it, so maybe he will let us know more about the circuit he came up with.
     Dan breadboarded this circuit and said he really dug it and wanted me to check it out because he knew I loved treble booster circuits. It's a russian npn germanium booster. All point to point and done wonderfully. Dan really showed off his amp building skills here and I know it can't be easy doing this level of detail in such a small enclosure, let alone having this level of craftsmanship. The bias knob is brilliant on the outside, I can go from a more fluid creamy boost to a fuzzy boost on the fly instantly changing the texture. The tone can let you push the frequency you choose from treble to full range. Volume cleanup on the guitar is excellent. Love the color scheme on this and the transistor painting really portays the tone. This thing is great thru any type of pickups and begs for a pushed amp but I found my favorite tones thru this rig below.  Thanks again Dan, it's perfection!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

harryklippton

😮😮😮😮

That's incredible. Nice work Dan! I also have the same guitar and I love it

jjjimi84

Long story boring, about 5 years ago I bought a large bag of BC108 transistors and forgot about them in a toolbox and then moved. About 2 years ago I found them and started trying to figure out fun ways to utilize them and decided I wanted to build my dream boost pedal. My pedal board is really small and usually consists of a drive and a delay and that is what I noodle with, so I wanted the boost to be able to not change the character of the amp and to be able to clean up when I roll back the volume.

I grabbed the breadboard and schematics of a ton of boosts and start futzing around. I came up with a boost that lived on the bread board (and still does) that was played all of the time. The first one I built on vero and sent it to my brother who loves it but I hated all of the wires everywhere. The next one I wanted to try point to point, to try and use up parts from my amp builds. At this point I bought a bunch of stuff from stompboxparts and the GE version was made, this is the one Chris has and my SI version is here.

It is essentially a tweaked DAM Red Rooster IIRC, I have the schematic written somewhere if anybody wants it. 

jjjimi84

Also, Thank you for the kind words, too nice of you. I would like to know more about that guitar because I have been looking at the Eastman equivalent for a long time now, P-90 Les Paul ugghhhh.....

jimilee

Wow, that's kick ass!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

I'd love to hear about how you came up with your ptp layout

alanp

Wow. That's amazing. Although if any pedal was ever in need of Balalaika from Black Lagoon painted on it...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gordo

Holy s**t, that's amazing.  Point to point at it's extreme!!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on April 17, 2021, 10:46:43 AM
Also, Thank you for the kind words, too nice of you. I would like to know more about that guitar because I have been looking at the Eastman equivalent for a long time now, P-90 Les Paul ugghhhh.....
It's a 2017 les paul 50s tribute, it was part of a Sam Ash special run. It's a one piece body which is rare to begin with anymore especially at this price point. I just got lucky. It's super light and resonant, it's got the standard swiss cheese weight relief not the modern almost semi hollow weight relief. I took out the pcb wiring and did old school 50s wiring with the russian pio caps, .22 on the bridge and .15 on the neck. 525k cts pots, aluminum tailpiece and abr-1 bridge with conversion posts instead of the Nashville tom. Also it's got some custom wound bg pup's A2 p90s. I put a couple hundred in parts in but I got it for 735 bucks. It's my favorite gibson and reminds me of my last boston terrier gibson because he would howl when I would let notes feedback on it when played loud.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

matmosphere

Okay.. so Dan wins build of the year from now on  ;D

That's a great looking build. I sometimes watch videos of people doing point to point, it's a real art form.

I'm sort of interested to hear how it sounds.

jimilee

That's fantastic. I want to wire my Les Pauls like that. Where sis you get your caps and stuff?

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on April 17, 2021, 12:40:01 PM
That's fantastic. I want to wire my Les Pauls like that. Where sis you get your caps and stuff?

I get all my guitar wiring stuff from www.theartoftone.com his pots are made by cts with tight tolerances. Quality stuff at good prices.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on April 17, 2021, 04:21:55 PM
Quote from: jimilee on April 17, 2021, 12:40:01 PM

I get all my guitar wiring stuff from www.theartoftone.com his pots are made by cts with tight tolerances. Quality stuff at good prices.
That's awesome man, thank you. Nice Les Paul, I'm a fan. I don't have one with P90s yet.

jjjimi84

Quote from: alanp on April 17, 2021, 11:09:18 AM
Wow. That's amazing. Although if any pedal was ever in need of Balalaika from Black Lagoon painted on it...

Had to look that up and I agree.

Quote from: harryklippton on April 17, 2021, 10:55:58 AM
I'd love to hear about how you came up with your ptp layout

I install footswitch, pots power jack and input jack first, wire up the switch and run the the hook up wires along the edge of the enclosure. From there I start at the beginning of the schematic using the buss ground wire as a holding point.

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 17, 2021, 12:07:47 PM
Okay.. so Dan wins build of the year from now on  ;D

That's a great looking build. I sometimes watch videos of people doing point to point, it's a real art form.

I'm sort of interested to hear how it sounds.

Filming on Thursday, this pedal will be featured in a VFE demo and then I plan on going hog wild showing off boosted amps in a video.

Bio77

That's beautiful! A piece of art, I love point to point 8)