News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Headtrip 2 and Sacred Cow (MOOOOOOOOOO!!)

Started by matmosphere, May 01, 2021, 02:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Been a while since I have done one of these.

You guys who are doing one a week have inspired me to try and build more to keep up.

Last week I built up the Headtrip 2. Very cool project, my first attempt with an FV-1 and it went together like a breeze. Soundwise I like Brian's patches a lot. I really wanted the Organizer type sound, but I'm not all for straight up cloning EQD, so this was a cool compromise and it sounds great. The reverbs are all nice and I like the delays more than I thought I would. The wet and dry mix controls are very nice to have. For some reason I always hear some kind of digital artifacts with FV-1 stuff, it's almost like an aftertaste. It bugs the hell out of me, but of coarse in a band mix it completely disappears. The mix controls seem to let me dial it out and still maintain the effect.  Overall it's great stuff. I think I need to download spin cad and dive in further.

Second is a clone of the Big Cheese. Another first because I've never played any Lovetone stuff before. I used BC549c's instead of the 2n3904, but I think it is otherwise stock (to the best of my knowledge.) I haven't had a tone of time to play it yet, and only through a little Ruby with a six inch speaker, but it delivers. I've never played a Fuzz Face I particularly like, found some decent tone benders, but I think this thing has the sounds that I want out of that type fuzz.

They both have 3d printed faceplates. I am very happy with how these are turning out. I need to get around to doing a tutorial for it.

gordo

Well done!  I really like the look of the 3D faceplates but I've so far resisted the temptation to get a printer.  I'd like to see a tutorial on how it's done though so would be much appreciated.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

harryklippton

jjjimi84

Really great work here, those faceplates are really out of this world.

matmosphere

Thanks guys, I'm thrilled they are working so well. I don't have access to a decent printer or anywhere to spray clear right now, which was kind of turning me off from building, so I'm happy to have a way to get something decent looking again.

Gordo, sorry I haven't had a chance to do a little tutorial. with the whole pandemic I decided to homeschool our kids this year and at this point it's gotten to be a slog, so I'm having trouble finding time and motivation for things outside of that unfortunately. . Things will calm down in a month or two and I'll be able to sit down and put it together. I'm trying to build the pedals as an excuse to take a little time for myself.

Mostly it's all just setting up things correctly. The design work is all done online using Tinkercad, it's all shape based sort of like doing legos on a computer. I'm not great at it but it works.

jimilee

Man, that stuff does look cool. What printer is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Awesome stuff and those faceplates make me drool for a 3D printer... sigh..
BigNoise Amplification

matmosphere

Quote from: cooder on May 01, 2021, 10:26:41 PM
Quote from: jimilee on May 01, 2021, 09:31:10 PM

I have a Creality Ender 3 pro. It is on the low end cost wise, but can make very good prints. Think the printer itself was a little over $200 on sale, and I've done maybe 50-75 bucks worth of upgrades. The filament cost $20-25 a spool but that goes a long way. All the software I use is free.

It's not super cheap, but it's a great value for the cost. It's cool to have another creative outlet as well.

Easily the best printer for the money, I'd have no reservations about recommending it. You do have to put it together, and tweak it here and there, it's not a set and forget thing.

jimilee

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 01, 2021, 10:44:10 PM
Quote from: cooder on May 01, 2021, 10:26:41 PM
Quote from: jimilee on May 01, 2021, 09:31:10 PM

I have a Creality Ender 3 pro. It is on the low end cost wise, but can make very good prints. Think the printer itself was a little over $200 on sale, and I've done maybe 50-75 bucks worth of upgrades. The filament cost $20-25 a spool but that goes a long way. All the software I use is free.

It's not super cheap, but it's a great value for the cost. It's cool to have another creative outlet as well.

Easily the best printer for the money, I'd have no reservations about recommending it. You do have to put it together, and tweak it here and there, it's not a set and forget thing.
Cool, thank you. With so many of them out there, I feel I like it may be time to jump on the train.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peAk

Really cool builds

I, too, just recently built a headtrip 2 (my first FV1 as well) and I like these patches. I really think some of them sound best with the dry completely removed.

Invertiguy

Wow, those look great! Nice work, I love seeing people use unorthodox finishing techniques. I really have to get myself a 3D printer and a laser engraver one of these days...
Doomsday Devices

matmosphere

Been playing with this a bit more. I have to say, Brian did a nice job with these patches.

The Choirmouse gets the sound I was hoping for, lots of fun to play with.

The WhiteHole sounds great, but what really surprised me was how good the flange is on its own.

Every single one of the reverbs sound great. The space bomb is pretty fun, especially if you cut the dry signal out of the mix. The Hall reverb is pretty huge sounding, and the Ruins is just a cool sound very fun to mess with.

Haven't dug into the rest as much yet, but it's going to be hard to choose just one if this thing goes on the board.