News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How to find the right rotary switch

Started by GeorgeFormanGrill, May 09, 2021, 09:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeFormanGrill

Hey everyone:

I'm looking for some help finding the right rotary switch for a Big Cheese clone I'm building. I've got my hands on a rotary switch, but it seems to have 10 different positions (meaning, it clicks 10 times when I turn it). I've deduced this is not a 3P4T rotary switch and that I'm an idiot. I've populated the board and tested it out, but I'm not getting a signal. I'm guessing it's because I've wired in the wrong switch.

Would this be the correct switch?

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/26mm-enclosed-3p2-4t/

Here's the layout:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/04/vero-build-guide.html

Thanks!
George

davent

Quote from: GeorgeFormanGrill on May 09, 2021, 09:16:53 AM
Hey everyone:

I'm looking for some help finding the right rotary switch for a Big Cheese clone I'm building. I've got my hands on a rotary switch, but it seems to have 10 different positions (meaning, it clicks 10 times when I turn it). I've deduced this is not a 3P4T rotary switch and that I'm an idiot. I've populated the board and tested it out, but I'm not getting a signal. I'm guessing it's because I've wired in the wrong switch.

Would this be the correct switch?

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/26mm-enclosed-3p2-4t/

Here's the layout:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/04/vero-build-guide.html

Thanks!
George

Do you have a picture of your switch, the bottom of the switch you can post. The switch you posted has a ring under the mounting nuts that has a piece that fits into a slot on the body and provides the stop to number of positions the switch can turn to. The bodies are all the same for 1-12, 2-6, 3-4, 4-3, but on each you could turn the dial to 1-11 positions depending on where you have that stop ring set. Need to see your switch.
dave

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

GeorgeFormanGrill

Hey, sure thing. Thanks for the response. I wasn't aware you could modify the switch to control the number of poles you can switch to. Very cool.

I've already wired this sucker, but here is a photo of the top and bottom. Please excuse the terrible soldering.

davent

Has the three center pins so a three pole switch.

Now under the toothed washer should be a ring with a single 'pin', under that ring will be 10 numbered slots that the pin will fit into. I can't tell whether the ring is present on your switch. Pin should go in slot 4 for a four throw switch.
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

GeorgeFormanGrill

Ah, got it. Thanks. I found the pin, but when I move it from one slot to the other, it doesn't seem to affect the number of times I can switch. For example, I dropped the pin in the 4 slot and I can still turn the switch seven times. Is that right?

davent

I was having the same problem with one of the switches i was playing with, another one no problem, i'm wondering if i didn't have seated firmly enough in the slot, hadn't tightened down hard on the nut?
dave

GeorgeFormanGrill

Ah, I think I figured it out. I didn't have the switch turned all the way to 1 position before snapping in the pin. Once I did that and dropped the pin into the 4 slot, I got 4 clicks on the switch. Thanks for the tip. Super helpful!

jimilee

You need to turn the switch fully counter clockwise and then drop in the pin washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

Quote from: jimilee on May 09, 2021, 04:07:22 PM
You need to turn the switch fully counter clockwise and then drop in the pin washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jimi!
dave