News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tonebender MKI

Started by Thewintersoldier, June 22, 2021, 05:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Classic tonebender MK1. This is one of the harder fuzz pedals to get right. Leakage and gain are the name of the game. Went through a good lot of transistors before I got it right. Added a trim it on the Q3 collector with a 20k trimmer to fine tune the bias of Q3. I landed at 7.85v after tuning by ear. Gnarly ass fuzz that makes you want the crank it and rip Ronson riffs and wailing feedback. Went minimalist with graphics and classic guardians of the Galaxy logo. Watch for more tonebenders as they get finished in the coming days.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Awww yeah, very nice. I have been thinking about one of those lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Mark0614

I have a Mark 2 Bender complete and a Mark 1 and Mark 3 in progress. I have used Small Bear Ge transistor sets for the Mark 2 and it worked great. I have a set of Small Bear Ge transistors for the Mark 3.

The problem I have is finding the right transistors for the Mark 1 board. I do have some AC-128 transistors, but I don't know the gain and minimum leakage required to get good results from the Mark 1 circuit.

What do you advise?

How did you do the art work on your pedal?

Thanks

Regards

Mark

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Mark0614 on June 24, 2021, 08:47:02 PM
I have a Mark 2 Bender complete and a Mark 1 and Mark 3 in progress. I have used Small Bear Ge transistor sets for the Mark 2 and it worked great. I have a set of Small Bear Ge transistors for the Mark 3.

The problem I have is finding the right transistors for the Mark 1 board. I do have some AC-128 transistors, but I don't know the gain and minimum leakage required to get good results from the Mark 1 circuit.

What do you advise?

How did you do the art work on your pedal?

Thanks

Regards

Mark
I recently just the other day got some new transistors in the mail, some ac125s and had a go with some of those. I ended up with Q1 hfe 69 and leakage of 180ua, Q2 with hfe 85 and leakage of 90Ua and Q3 hfe 115 and leakage of 160ua. Q3 collector is at -8.89 v and it's glorious. brutal attack, decent sustain and just enough sizzle and crack around the decay.  The enclosure I designed in affinity designer and applied it using the no film waterslide decal.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Zerro

For playing around bias (and sound) of your vehement, try to fiddle with C-B resistor of first transistor, to get at collector of this Q1 cca from 4,5 to 7 V. Use trimmer 1M5, and set at first 4,5V and listen it. The same setting with resistor at collector of second transistor, to get similar volatges at collector ot third transistor Q3. Use trimmer 47k, making "gate" for your sound.

For playing with this kind of fuzzes you can breadboard adjustable Suckfuzzes I attached: one is for NPN and second for PNP transistors.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

soggybag

This looks interesting. Where did you get the board for this?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: soggybag on June 27, 2021, 07:33:11 PM
This looks interesting. Where did you get the board for this?
It's a pedalpcb board
Who the hell is Bucky?

Mark0614

Thanks for your assistance. I appreciate it.

Regards

Mark