News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Water splashed on PCB. Will the ICs be damaged

Started by Dwubyd, July 04, 2021, 04:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwubyd

Hi,

I am building a ToneVirus (MBP). Water was accidentally splashed on the PCB. I am at the rock it before you box it stage, and it does not rock! It makes all sorts of nasty sounds, but not good nasty.

Should I replace all the ICs?

jimilee

Did you dry it off first? Like how much water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Nah, let it dry out (hair dryer if needed) and fire it up.  Unless it was under power at the time you'd be hard pressed to bugger up a board.  I've salvaged entire amps (my Lab Series L5 came out of the Nashville floods years back and was submerged).  Just make sure everything is dry and you're likely good.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Dwubyd

I think it was a small splash. It was my son who spilt it and he is not sure exactly how much got on the ToneVirus.

Sounds like I need to look for other reasons it is not working quite as expected.

It was not under power at the time.

Dwubyd

Ahhhh.....yep....I found the problem. Well, one problem. The input jack had the tip and earth the wrong way around. Anyone know how to spell newb?

However, it still does not work correctly. The voltages on all the IC pins check out okay. I tried tapping various point on the signal train to the amp. It sounds fine just after the TL072 but not so good after the first stage of the IC2 (CD4069 - hex inverter).

Cancel that. I just watched a Youtube video demonstrating the Tone Virus and it sounds pretty similar to mine. Mine is more fuzzy though. I might try boxing it and see whether that cleans up some of the excess fuzziness.

jimilee

You might get a magnifier and check for solder bridges. When set exactly the same, clones tend to sound a little off due to tolerances of parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Dwubyd

I checked for solder bridges - no luck there.

gordo

It's definitely not an effect for the faint hearted.  I've had fun fiddling with mine but have no idea how I'd use it.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Dwubyd

True. Most effects have a setting where it minimises the effect to the extent that the original sound is clearly identifiable. Not this one.