News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2015 Smoothie - not enough phase

Started by slacjs, July 12, 2021, 05:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zerro

Great! So 4V7 zener gives 4,3V with current consumption. Now, if you have a some more patience, I shoul try here zener 5V1. Little higher voltage at center bias doesn't harm. Try this and we will see. If nothing happens, you should little lower that R19 - 3M9, at cca 3M3 or 2M7. Every j-fet has slightly another thrashold for good functionality. But, maybe that with those 2 phase stages you can't await something more. So, try those tricks, fiddle about bias trimmer, and refer us about. Here are some more tricks, we can still try.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

jimilee

Yep, the phase 45 is exact half of a phase 90. It's very subtle at its deepest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Zerro

For distorted guitar it would be enough, to hear. Something like wah pedal with low resonancy. Very soft phasing with fuzz or similar fx.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

danfrank

My 2¢ worth:

I had a pair of fets that were matched down to 0.003 volt and used them in the Smoothie and the effect is pretty pronounced for a two stage phaser. JimiLee is correct, it's a fairly subtle phaser but if you have a bunch of fets to get a really tight matched pair, that will help. Also, the trimmer to bias the fets is super sensitive. A 10 turn trimmer will help get the best biasing

jimilee

Quote from: danfrank on July 26, 2021, 04:46:13 PM
My 2¢ worth:

I had a pair of fets that were matched down to 0.003 volt and used them in the Smoothie and the effect is pretty pronounced for a two stage phaser. JimiLee is correct, it's a fairly subtle phaser but if you have a bunch of fets to get a really tight matched pair, that will help. Also, the trimmer to bias the fets is super sensitive. A 10 turn trimmer will help get the best biasing
Truth. I put j201s in the last phaser I built. Works really well. I've never heard of a 10 turn trimmer. Sounds handy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

danfrank

These are actually 3 turn but better than a single turn. Mouser has actual 10 turn trimmers

jimilee

Quote from: danfrank on July 26, 2021, 04:59:13 PM
These are actually 3 turn but better than a single turn. Mouser has actual 10 turn trimmers

Gotcha, thanks.