News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Solaris question

Started by TNblueshawk, July 12, 2021, 06:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

So, I just finished testing this one and it is working but I have quite the wonky voltage reading. I'm thinking it might sound better, or how it was designed, if I can figure out why this weird voltage reading. All other readings are on par. Anyone have any thoughts?

Q1
C = -.68
B = 121.4   :o
E = 0

Q2
C = -4.38
B = -.68
E = -.55
John

TNblueshawk

Bringing this back up. So I still can't figure out this wonky voltage reading but now the pedal doesn't work or rather it does, just no fuzz. I guess my first thought is to confirm with someone other than myself the transformer is in the proper position. From everything I've researched it is. Anyone with any thoughts?

John

Zerro

You have 121V at basis of transistor? Try to measure it again. Ground probe of multimeter at ground at power plates, and hot probe at points you need to measure. And measure even ground at the desk, if it is connected with ground of power supply.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Zerro on September 04, 2021, 09:20:00 AM
You have 121V at basis of transistor? Try to measure it again. Ground probe of multimeter at ground at power plates, and hot probe at points you need to measure. And measure even ground at the desk, if it is connected with ground of power supply.

Zerro, what do you mean put the ground at the power plate?

I've measued this thing multiple times. Right now it reads 118v. Same way i've always done pedals. Put the ground to the enclosure. Of the 6 test points of the two transistors 5 are spot on within range of what the BOM suggests and then there is this odd ball. I didn't know it was possible to generate that voltage in this pedal.

I'm fine with just getting another board and doing a new one but I might end up with the same issue. Bad transformer maybe? I believe the pin orientation is correct though or the other test points would be off too I would think.
John

Zerro

That's my mistake - I changed Solaris you built with solaris fuzz. Another schema with this name I haven't got.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

mauman

Your voltage measurements all look reasonable except Q1 base, which should be somewhere around -0.1 or -0.2V.  I'm sure you don't have 121V from a 9V supply, so I'm assuming you were reading 121 millivolts (mV) = 0.121V which is fine.

According to your pics, yes, the transformer is installed correctly.  The "pickup" switch bypasses the transformer and associated circuit anyway, so you can remove it from the circuit for testing.

If you're getting a signal thru the pedal when it's active (not bypassed), then everything is working. It's just a matter of biasing the transistors correctly.  Try the following in this order:

1. Turn the Input and Fuzz knobs all the way up.  Turn the Contour and Body knobs all the way up.
2. Try a stronger guitar signal - humbuckers instead of signal coils, turn up the guitar volume knob all the way up, if you have a boost pedal, put it before this pedal.  This fuzz is very sensitive to the input signal level, and will sound clean with a low signal. 
2. Adjust the Q2 bias trimmer (round white trim pot on the right) 1/4 turn left and right slowly while playing thru the pedal.  This adjusts the bias on the Q2 collector.  Your current -4.38V is a good place to start, but each pedal has a different sweet spot, could be lower or higher than that.   

TNblueshawk

Mauman, very much appreciated that you took some time out. You are right of course on the mV for the higher V.

I got her working. To my ears having Q2 right under 7V beefs it up and slightly smooths out any mudiness. Less than that and it's too thin for me but it's all about preference.

But I guess it's a pedal you to pretty much dime out or at least that is how it is for me.

Again thanks for giving me a hand.
John