News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

#VFEFRIDAY Alpha Dog plus a fishman, Thwomp and a taco logo.

Started by jjjimi84, July 23, 2021, 09:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

Here it is the final four, my little Alpha Dog we all know it and we all love it. Having never owned a Rat I can honestly say it sounds better than the original, thems maths work.

I also want to add to this my AionFx Convex Compressor. This little guy gave me some headaches and I am still not 100% it compresses like it should but what ever it is currently doing works extremely well. It has turned into this always on beautifier for my pedal board. This is also one of the first forays into airbrushing enclosures and it went as well as can be expected. After this I started taping the sides and only doing the tops.

Next is the Madbean Rustbucket, here was another first for me. I drilled the 1590BB for it and it kept grounding out, so I used this old 1790NS enclosure I had that was from drilling the Brejna Voodoo Vibe all wrong. First time using that metal bondo stuff and sanding out and enclosure. Its pretty rough but works and sounds really great, Dean wanted it sprayed bright orange and then painted a Thwomp on it.

Last but by no means least is the Jacos Tacos Fuzz, aka Big Noise Amplification Weta Fuzz. This is based on my favorite fuzz of all time, the BA Scarab Deluxe but with all of the delightful built in soft switching that Stephan does. This was made as a back up for Jake Cinninger as he has been using the Barney fuzz I sent him last year on stage a lot. This is my most recent build, it was airbrushed yellow and then hand painted with the Jacos Tacos logo (his request) and then built and finished. The exact opposite of how I normally do things, usually they get built and then stare at me for months.

Aleph Null

These all look great! Are you hand painting the enclosures?

jjjimi84

Quote from: Aleph Null on July 23, 2021, 11:17:35 AM
These all look great! Are you hand painting the enclosures?

Thank You very much! Yes sir, I buy bare enclosures and airbrush the background and hand paint all of the artwork on there.

jimilee

Man, nice job again Dan. My issue with building for someone is, then I want one too. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

benny_profane

Killer (as always) Dan. The art on the Convex is gorgeous! What're your issues with the build?

The Alpha Dog is indeed amazing—but you've gotta build a Rat at some point too!

jjjimi84

Quote from: jimilee on July 23, 2021, 12:08:32 PM
Man, nice job again Dan. My issue with building for someone is, then I want one too. [emoji23]

Lately, if I fall in love with something I just build another because at some point someone is going to ask for it or I gift it out to spread the love.

Quote from: benny_profane on July 23, 2021, 12:49:51 PM
Killer (as always) Dan. The art on the Convex is gorgeous! What're your issues with the build?

The Alpha Dog is indeed amazing—but you've gotta build a Rat at some point too!

I like compressors that let me think I am a good country guitar player, this is way more subtle. I built a MBP Rat and my brother "borrowed" that. I have never even played a Rat, just the MBP Slow Loris and Alpha Dog variants/

cooder

That's an awesome bunch there and glad to see one of my boards in the wild making noise!
Sweet paint jobs there again, the Alpha Dog is pretty cute considering the sound of it ;).
The taco man is super sauce and turned out really well, maybe you get a sponsorship from the company to take your family out Mexican style for a year?!?
I've got a Rustbucket in the mail as well coming, yehaaw.
BigNoise Amplification

Feral Feline

Great builds, as per usual.

Convex Fish is my favourite art from this selection, however the RUST BUCKET!

What hypothesis, if any, do you have as to why it was grounding out in the 1590BB?

jjjimi84

Quote from: Feral Feline on July 23, 2021, 03:16:40 PM

What hypothesis, if any, do you have as to why it was grounding out in the 1590BB?

Thank you! The fish is one of my favorites also! The little 9mm pots kept hitting the board and shorting it. I hate tight squeeze builds for that reason. Also anything that calls for a 1590bb I automatically go 1590 bbs. That little bit helps

jimilee

Quote from: jjjimi84 on July 23, 2021, 04:27:09 PM
Quote from: Feral Feline on July 23, 2021, 03:16:40 PM

Thank you! The fish is one of my favorites also! The little 9mm pots kept hitting the board and shorting it. I hate tight squeeze builds for that reason. Also anything that calls for a 1590bb I automatically go 1590 bbs. That little bit helps
Electrical tape is second only to duct tape. I've had to use it several times here lately. It's great for insulating those pots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

Does the compressor go, "Mrrrrggggllll!" ? (It's a murloc from World of Warcraft, if an unusually coloured one.)

And I like the painting of the puppy, even though I normally do not like dogs. Nice work on all of them!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jjjimi84

Quote from: alanp on July 23, 2021, 10:07:24 PM
Does the compressor go, "Mrrrrggggllll!" ? (It's a murloc from World of Warcraft, if an unusually coloured one.)

And I like the painting of the puppy, even though I normally do not like dogs. Nice work on all of them!

I wish it made a noise like that! That miku pedal could use some noises like that in it.

Quote from: cooder on July 23, 2021, 01:54:24 PM
That's an awesome bunch there and glad to see one of my boards in the wild making noise!
Sweet paint jobs there again, the Alpha Dog is pretty cute considering the sound of it ;).
The taco man is super sauce and turned out really well, maybe you get a sponsorship from the company to take your family out Mexican style for a year?!?
I've got a Rustbucket in the mail as well coming, yehaaw.

The closest Jacos tacos is way too far away to even consider trying it. As for your boards get ready pal, I have a few more in the works......

Have fun with the Rustbucket, I have illusions of learning Devil went down to georgia on guitar with the rustbucket but like most things my hopes and dreams and time are never paired up well.

fig

Gorgeous work Dan!

I keep wanting to ask you, are enclosures your only canvas?
I'm lookin' for this place called Lee Ho Fooks

jjjimi84

Quote from: fig on July 24, 2021, 04:50:14 AM
Gorgeous work Dan!

I keep wanting to ask you, are enclosures your only canvas?

Thank you! And yes, I have only ever painted on pedals.