News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

help with understanding etch layouts

Started by harryklippton, August 19, 2021, 03:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryklippton

I want to try etching a few boards, and I noticed what looks like two different approaches to how etch layouts are made. I was accustomed to seeing the perf and etch layouts on Effects Layouts, where there are big sections of bare copper on the face of the board that tie all the grounds together like the ground plane of a PCB. From what I looked at here in Etcher's Paradise, it looks like Brian does them the same way.

The discrepancy came up when I was looking at etch layouts from General Guitar Gadgets, where they don't have the obvious ground plane on the face, but it does seem that all the grounds are connected on one trace and to all the ground connections for the offboard components. Can anybody confirm that how I'm understanding this is correct? Connecting all the grounds with a trace seems more like how it's done with perf, is that right?

I attached examples of what I'm trying to describe. First is the Zygote- fulltone 69 layout from etcher's paradise here, and the second is a pnp fuzz face from GGG. not trying to compare their circuits, just the design approach to the layout for how they're etched. thanks

Zerro

Those two approaches are possible. That first approach, where ground plate is spreaded all around, can work like "ground shield" for segments sensitive for some disturbing from around, but the biggest advantage is, that when etching, that solution you use doesn't etch all copper which is not a part of tracks - ir remains here. So you save your etching solution from exhaustion.

But, when you use this approach, you can have problem with ground loops, which can make very suprising problems even with simpler schematics. So you must take care with projecting this way. Of course, ground loops can occur even with that second type too. All is about your skills. Finally, both possibilities are similar and accetable for almost all schematics. Maybe for HF machines will be here some specifics.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

harryklippton

Thanks Zerro! I'm glad I was on the right track

jimilee

Quote from: harryklippton on August 19, 2021, 04:41:22 PM
Thanks Zerro! I'm glad I was on the right track
Storyboardist does it because it removes less copper which uses less etchant and you can use it longer. If you need any etching tips, let me know. Small bear has a great tutorial as well as to road, lots of great stuff there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

Thanks Jimi. I'm sure I'll have lots of dumb questions!

Zerro

Etchant - so it is english name for etching solution? Then I am sorry, if I confused you with my article. Englis is not my native language.

jimilee

Quote from: Zerro on August 19, 2021, 08:42:33 PM
Etchant - so it is english name for etching solution? Then I am sorry, if I confused you with my article. Englis is not my native language.
Not so much the English word, just another word for etching solution. sometimes we make up words cause that's how we roll. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

Ok I thought of a few other questions. I have a couple pieces of copper clad board I bought at Radio Shack when there were still radio shack stores. Looking at buying more, I'm seeing single sided and double sided, and phenolic or epoxy. Got any advice on which to choose? I think id want single sided  but I don't know about phenolic or epoxy other than looks like epoxy is cheaper

Zerro

We have here in Europe another assignments, but we can divide pcb boards at cuprex-tit  - something with filaments in epoxy, and cuprex-cart - something like fasten plastic, consistent desk without some texture inside. If phenolic are those, which we know as cuprex-cart, they are more suitable for HF builds, because of better parameters of capacitance, and permeability. Like better dielectricum of capacitors, in compare with cuprex-tit. For normal audio constructions it will be equal. You can use both of them.

jimilee