News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal design help

Started by redkurn, August 30, 2021, 11:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redkurn

I'm interested in creating my own combo pedal, boost, overdrive, fuzz, a few switching between circuits and maybe a few stomp switches to turn them on or off.

How can I get started designing it?
I have a program for designing and testing diagrams, but not sure what to use in the design.

Zerro

That's very wide question - there are many schematics of FXs for any type of it all. Maybe at Youtube find some videos how to order stompboxes at first. And what do they do.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

jimilee

Quote from: redkurn on August 30, 2021, 11:49:02 AM
I'm interested in creating my own combo pedal, boost, overdrive, fuzz, a few switching between circuits and maybe a few stomp switches to turn them on or off.

I have a program for designing and testing diagrams, but not sure what to use in the design.

Pick out your circuits and layout your idea on paper. For example, I built a multi with 4 circuits and order swithers in between each one. It was cool, but it got real complicated real fast.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

redkurn

Quote from: jimilee on August 30, 2021, 01:09:40 PM
Quote from: redkurn on August 30, 2021, 11:49:02 AM

Pick out your circuits and layout your idea on paper. For example, I built a multi with 4 circuits and order swithers in between each one. It was cool, but it got real complicated real fast.

That's my general idea, a little complicated, but I'd like to design something new that will take up some free time to design, build and enjoy.

redkurn

Quote from: Zerro on August 30, 2021, 12:09:59 PM
That's very wide question - there are many schematics of FXs for any type of it all. Maybe at Youtube find some videos how to order stompboxes at first. And what do they do.

I know it's a bit wide, but I'm just starting off with the idea. Want to make sure I have the best tool for simulating a circuit before I begin and then work from there, probably just combining fx into one box with a shared signal path, maybe something a bit more integrated. not sure yet.

I have LTspice, now that I am home and can read the program name, tinkered with it before and didn't really get expected results.

Zerro

Search at Youtube at first. Looking the sound you like. Many infos can be here from skilled users.

diablochris6

I agree with the advice above. Figure out what you want on paper. Draw a simple block diagram of the effects you want to use and figure out what effects you want to switch around. After that, look up order switching schematics and whatnot. When I plan things like this out, I use markers or colored pencils on signal lines to help me not get lost.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Zerro

And at first positions are always EQ (what freqs send to chain and what not), gates (get rid noises), together with pre-EQ makes freq-gating, then mean effect (distortions...), then second EQ, and choruses, reverbs etc. And output volume booster.

Try to borrow gui multieffect pedal and try to order some segments, or to study their factory settings.