News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Muff question for bass players

Started by matmosphere, August 31, 2021, 12:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

This explains the creamy dreamer version... but there's a switch that you can do which is a "creamy dreamer." I want to know what exactly to do to make this work. I know it has something to do with emitter resistors... just not sure exactly how to execute this mod.

Zerro

If I understand clearly (english is not my native language), you have some BIg Muff - like version, and you want to do modification to get Creamy Dreamer sound. So, to change circuit with some switch to this creamy version I attached upper? What is your version? Typicall Big Muff?
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

thesameage

I have a wren and cuff super russian that has a "dreamer" switch. It's been a while since I've looked at it but I think it's just a dpdt switch with two wires going to the end of two resistors. I'm guessing that flipping it just "ungrounds" them? Maybe I just need to take my super russian apart again to see how they did it:

Zerro

From youtube video "Creamy" switch seems to promote that mid range notch, as it is usual for pot "body" or "contour" in tone controllers. So, only high and bass are up. Something like Univox fuzz I attached. Flat-scoop switch only sets in tone controll, like at Big Muff opamp version Tone bypass switch. See as attached picture too.

BTW that link I gave you has 4 parts as you surely noticed. Many Tone modifications are seen here to fiddle around.

http://www.bigmuffpage.com/Big_Muff_Pi_versions_schematics_part1.html
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

matmosphere

In case anyone comes looking...

Holy crap, the Green Russian was the way to go. Just finished this one up. Tried a bunch of different transistors and landed on BC549C's for all four. Mpsa18 sounded good (and louder) in the last position, and a 2n5089 sounded a little more gnarly in Q1, but nothing else quite sounded like the 549's on bass. Not sure this would be my favorite for guitar but it is full of crazy punk rock goodness on the bass.

Sweet spot for me seemed to be with the tone between 2 and 4 o'clock and the sustain between noon and two.

jimilee

Yep, I used one for years when I was gigging.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesmokingman

Quote from: matmosphere on August 31, 2021, 12:16:32 PM
I think the last time I played a green Russian muff was when they were still the ones being sold, but as I understand it they are the preferred muff of bass players.

I have a bassist friend who used to use a green Russian muff he was borrowing from a friend and really liked it so I want to build him one. Any one have any thoughts on if it is worth doing any mods for a bassist as opposed to a guitarist? I am inclined not to, because he was happy with the stock one, but I could put some caps on a switch or something if it makes a big difference. Any one experienced in the ways of Bass Big Muff?
if you don't want to hit up Russian Federation ebay, try 2N4401 transistors and 1N400x  diodes. those are the closest to the originals in terms of hfe and Vf
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX