News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Retrograde tone sounds thin

Started by oldsoul, November 24, 2021, 12:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsoul

Yea perhaps not the best example. Would mismatched 1n34a's cause the tone to drop bass?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
High Tech by day-Old School at Night

jimilee

Quote from: oldsoul on November 26, 2021, 09:18:17 AM
Yea perhaps not the best example. Would mismatched 1n34a's cause the tone to drop bass?

Not necessarily mismatched but bad diodes would. If you socketed the diodes, and it's a good practice with GEs, if they are GEs and you got them from Tayda or eBay,try different diodes, shotkeys are a good replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

oldsoul

Got it. They are GE's from a crystal radio vendor. I pulled one leg off each. They both only conducted in one direction and measured 341 & 388 ohm's respectively.

oldsoul

Ok I accidentally destroyed one pulling a leg out. So I swapped them both with good tested ones. The tone still feels about the same. Perhaps I'm hearing a low end boost from the lower octave making the non octave switched setting to appear thin.

jimilee

Quote from: oldsoul on November 26, 2021, 07:28:48 AM
So I touched up solder joints and re-checked voltages which all seem good. Still noticing a thinner tone unless the octave switch is engaged. Not sure if this is helpful but just recorded an iPhone video of what I'm hearing. https://www.dropbox.com/s/02jli7zowxfzb3a/IMG_0353.MOV?dl=0

Good news, I was able to pull mine out. It sounds them same as yours, so congratulations, there isn't anything wrong with it.  Just looking at the schematic, it removes one of the diodes, which removes some of the clipping.The original didn't have the switch that switches off the second diode. I don't care for the fuzz of this particular drive without the octave myself. But hey, congratulations, it works right.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

oldsoul

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of it. It's what I was suspecting as well. I do prefer the tone with the octave engaged as well. Onto making a custom enclosure tomorrow. Giving this as a Christmas gift to my brother. I think he'll enjoy it.

jimilee

Quote from: oldsoul on November 26, 2021, 07:51:16 PM
Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of it. It's what I was suspecting as well. I do prefer the tone with the octave engaged as well. Onto making a custom enclosure tomorrow. Giving this as a Christmas gift to my brother. I think he'll enjoy it.

Oh how nice, I'm sure he'll love it!