News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

[SOLVED] Interchangeable tubes?

Started by redkurn, December 10, 2021, 07:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redkurn

Seems the proper place to ask...

So I know you'd need to bias, but I've been wondering what output tubes I could use to get breakup earlier in place of 6L6?

Would a EL34 fit and make a difference?

I have 2 amps using 6L6, both are super clean amps, but when I want that sweet tube break up one falls flat and the other gets over driven a little.

Bugera V55HD infinium (automatic bias which I wonder if it's just set by resistor)
Fender hot rod deluxe 60th anniversary (loud boy, using a volume knob in fx loop)

I'm not sure if either would benefit, but what options are available?
Seems like a reasonable question with far too few answers, makes me wonder if tubes aren't standardized by pin out and some wires would need moved around to begin with.

Bio77

I've used these to convert a Hot Rod Deville to EL34s:

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/yellow-jackets-tube-converters

It drops the wattage from 60W to ~12W and gets nice breakup with just the volume knob on the clean channel.

redkurn

They don't look like they would fit my other amp, I had someone suggest trying to pick the brain of a local amp tech.
Maybe I'll try the one I am always watching on youtube as well.

danfrank

Yeah, EL34s will work in a 6L6 amp, just make sure that pin 1 of the octal socket is connected to pin 8 of the same socket, a small jumper wire will suffice.
Also, EL34 tubes need about 10 volts less bias than 6L6 tubes. That doesn't mean another -10 volts, that means if the 6L6 tubes were biased at -35 volts, the EL34s will bias at around -25 volts.
One more thing, the 6L6 output transformer will be a bit of an impedance mismatch for the EL34 but not enough to worry about.

redkurn

Quote from: danfrank on December 12, 2021, 09:25:24 PM
Yeah, EL34s will work in a 6L6 amp, just make sure that pin 1 of the octal socket is connected to pin 8 of the same socket, a small jumper wire will suffice.
Also, EL34 tubes need about 10 volts less bias than 6L6 tubes. That doesn't mean another -10 volts, that means if the 6L6 tubes were biased at -35 volts, the EL34s will bias at around -25 volts.
One more thing, the 6L6 output transformer will be a bit of an impedance mismatch for the EL34 but not enough to worry about.

Both amps are using a pcb to connect the sockets, one automatically adjusts bias so that could potentially be a problem since I don't understand yet how that can work.
The other I do have control over more with a internal pot, I was thinking maybe it would help with how the amps sound, but maybe I'd be better off selling them and finding a amp that does metal better than my dark terror, love the dark terror though and never use these other amps.
The bugera I used to use all the time, the Fender I got to resell.

Muadzin

redkurn

Quote from: Muadzin on December 13, 2021, 01:43:19 PM
yt VaO7MmghoqA /yt

Interesting, I knew the pre amp tubes didn't matter, but the power tubes I was questioning because the amps that I have are 2 x 6L6, EL84 and a Joyo Zombie which the original tube failed and it doesn't sound any different either.

The Bugera sounds the same as when I had replaced the original tubes they may or may not have been failing, original owner suggested it could be happening.

So the Bugera will always suck for what I want to play without pushing it with pedals and will only be good for classic rock tones.

Good to know, I'll just stick to using pedals on it if I need to.

Thanks.

jimilee

Quote from: redkurn on December 13, 2021, 11:24:14 PM
Quote from: Muadzin on December 13, 2021, 01:43:19 PM
yt VaO7MmghoqA /yt

Interesting, I knew the pre amp tubes didn't matter, but the power tubes I was questioning because the amps that I have are 2 x 6L6, EL84 and a Joyo Zombie which the original tube failed and it doesn't sound any different either.

The Bugera sounds the same as when I had replaced the original tubes they may or may not have been failing, original owner suggested it could be happening.

So the Bugera will always suck for what I want to play without pushing it with pedals and will only be good for classic rock tones.

Good to know, I'll just stick to using pedals on it if I need to.

Thanks.

There are always mods:

http://distorqueaudio.com/hardware/mods/bugera-v22.html
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

redkurn

Quote from: jimilee on December 14, 2021, 01:09:18 AM
There are always mods:

http://distorqueaudio.com/hardware/mods/bugera-v22.html

I don't think those would work, also the only link that works still is the forum post and if anything in this amp matches what he's talking about I don't know.
I will look into it though, I have only ever found mods and schematic for the previous version of this V55 which is not a Infinium.

Maybe I'll try this again and see if it helps any...
Just checked the V55 schematic you posted.

A VERY good amp,  very much doubt doubt you can "improve" it.

Of course, you can mess its sound easily ;)

You want the best you can get from it?

No need to electronically modify anything, just:

1) plug it into a 2 x 12" loaded with V30 or G12H30 or 4 x 12" loaded with any od those mentioned, *or* Greenbacks or Jensen C12N or MOD 1270 .
All KILLER speakers.

2) put the Master on 10 and leave it there forever.
Raise the clean volume until it just starts crunching and the drive gain so it distorts the power amp as much as you want.

You can add a clean boost pedal for soaring solos.

Enjoy.

Then again... I wonder what they changed...