News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

10 uf electrolytic cap instead of a 2.2 uf

Started by scotheath, January 02, 2022, 12:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotheath

As above, can I use a 10 uf in place of 2.2 the schematic calls for ? will be same 16v.
If not how come?

Bio77

It depends.  You have to post the schematic. 

My guess is that the 2u2 is in the audio path.  In which case you'd be better off with a 1u.  But again without the schematic, just a guess.

scotheath

Thank you for responding. its a SI fuzz face I found on the web with step by step instructions that I want to give a try on a breadboard. I'm new to breed boarding. I've always just put together MB boards or Tayda boards. I have a bunch of caps and resistors pots and diodes just no 2.2 or 1 uf electrolytic caps though :)

mjg

If you're going to breadboard it, I'd suggest you try it with a 10uf and see if you like it.  It won't explode, so experiment. 

Put two 10uf in series to get 5uf, see if that makes a difference to the sound.  That might help you decide if you need the 2.2

The other thing you could do is read up on the fuzz face... geofex has a really detailed article here http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/fuzzface/fftech.htm

You'll see in the above link that the original circuits used up to 20uf, so I don't think it will matter much anyway!

mjg

Ahh, and having just looked at you schematic with my glasses on, I see you probably mean the other cap.  That one it's still fine to try with a 10uf, it won't hurt.  It might have more bass with the larger cap?  You could try a 100n if you've got one of them.  Experiment.  You might end up with something cool sounding.  🙂

And yeah still read the geofex article, it will explain what all the parts do, in way too much detail, if you are wanting to learn.

scotheath

Thank you for the response  will read the article

scotheath

Quote from: mjg on January 02, 2022, 02:27:14 PM
If you're going to breadboard it, I'd suggest you try it with a 10uf and see if you like it.  It won't explode, so experiment. 

Put two 10uf in series to get 5uf, see if that makes a difference to the sound.  That might help you decide if you need the 2.2

The other thing you could do is read up on the fuzz face... geofex has a really detailed article here http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/fuzzface/fftech.htm

That is a lot of info  Thanks for the link

You'll see in the above link that the original circuits used up to 20uf, so I don't think it will matter much anyway!