News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clipping Diode sub question

Started by matmosphere, January 11, 2022, 02:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I'm building M-Kresol's Palisades board from a couple years back and I just found out I'm missing the 1n916 diodes. I have plenty of 1n914/4148's laying around. looks like it has 914's symmetrically clipping and the 916's set up asymmetrically. I don't have much experience with the palisades but am thinking about giving this one to a guy who used to have one and misses it. Will there be enough difference that I should just wait and order the 916's or should I just throw some 914's in there and not worry about it?

thesmokingman

unless it is the 916B you should be fine to sub it
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jimilee

That will work, you can sub what ever you want I. The clipping diode section in that pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

I have only used 916's once, in a bass overdrive, and I didn't love them tone wise, but they were noticeably different than the 914's I had in there as well. I was just wondering if anyone has any opinion on how different it would sound.

Might be a job for sockets.

jimilee

Quote from: matmosphere on January 11, 2022, 07:42:40 AM
I have only used 916's once, in a bass overdrive, and I didn't love them tone wise, but they were noticeably different than the 914's I had in there as well. I was just wondering if anyone has any opinion on how different it would sound.

Might be a job for sockets.
Sound good in my palisades clone. If I'm remembering right, it's a little more compressed than 914s. Definitely socket them and see what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.